Industrial injury’s benefit tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Industrial injury’s benefit tribunal

simonevo1989
simonevo1989 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi has anybody been through a tribunal for IIDB or any other disability benefit, I won my tribunal today and they awarded me a higher percentage, the DWP have been paying me a lower percentage what they assessed me at from February but does anyone know how long it takes for them to back pay and increase to what the tribunal says 

Comments

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @simonevo1989

A very warm welcome.

Firstly, well done for taking your case to the Tribunal and winning your case.

I would suggest you phone the Tribunal next Monday, to see if they had passed the decision to DWP.

Then you need to keep on at the DWP, to see when your increased payments, will be in pay.

You should keep an eye on your bank details, as often payments are made before claimants receive a formal notification letter.

Hope this is of some assistance.

But the DWP is a law in itself.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    Great news. HMCTS will have already contacted DWP. Backdated money from any Tribunal win can take 8 weeks.

Do also be aware that this can affect any means tested benefits you receive.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • simonevo1989
    Thanks for the reply’s, I spoke with the DWP to clarify things and they have said that it could take a few weeks after explaining what the judgement said he went a little deeper because the judge has ruled that the payments should be backdated to 09/2017 and that it is a lifetime award which I think they may try to challenge because it goes back 2 years and they will potentially have to pay me for the next 50 years on top 
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @simonevo1989

The DWP will not challenge the decision on the basis of the length of the award.

They can only challenge it, on the basis that the Tribunal has made an error on the law.

The DWP has made no such legal challenge for the past two years.

Hope this helps.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @simonevo1989 and a warm welcome to the community. :)

Have you had any updates on this?
    Scope

• simonevo1989
    I rang up this morning to see what’s what and they are saying they haven’t received anything from the courts yet even though the court papers say it was submitted to them on the 16th 
  • poppy123456
    It's possible that it could take 7-10 days to be added to the computer, as the 16 was only 2 working days ago then it's rather early days yet. Backdated money can take as long as 8 weeks after a Tribunal win. My advice is to ring DWP again next week and it will most likely be added by then.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @simonevo1989, I imagine this is frustrating! I hope you can ring next week and get more information. :)
    Scope

• simonevo1989
    Hi all, I’ve just rang up for an update and I have been told it has gone through the processes and a letter has been sent out yesterday but they can’t discuss anything with me until I receive the letter which is fine but they said it has had to be checked because it’s a large amount of arrears, now my claim restarted in February this year after they stopped it because they sent a letter to my old address so I’ve calculated the arrears to be around £600 but on the tribunal papers the date they have stated is from September 2017, would this indicate they are paying me from that date which I’m my opinion would be a large amount or would the DWP consider the £600 a large amount 
  • poppy123456
    You will need to wait for the letter and this will tell you everything you need to know because it's difficult to give advice without knowing more details.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @simonevo1989, unfortunately we are unable to know what your back payments will be. I hope you get the letter soon! :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.