Cushings disease — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cushings disease

Options
Hadley9th
Hadley9th Community member Posts: 8 Connected
Is anyone on here with a Pituitary or adrenal insufficiency? 
I'm 7 years in remission from the condition and it has left me with so many problems that no one understands.
I had an ACTH producing pituitary tumor that caused my body to make to much cortisol,  which is the fight or flight hormone.
I was a healthy confident woman who bought up 2 children alone after my husband left. For years I was a size 10/12, I exercised, held a physical job and travelled alone.  Now I'm a size 20/22 ,  have to use a wheelchair to go out, frightened to go out alone, as I may go into crisis, have lost the majority of my friends and spend most of my time in my pyjamas.  
My husband is brilliant, but I miss female company doing girlie things. I look in the mirror and no longer recognize myself, I don't like what I see, so why should others I suppose. 
I'm scared of coming out of remission too. I've been told surgery is to high risk for me too. So what would happen?? !!!
Sorry this a long post, I had people to talk too whilst I had Cushings, now I don't want to keep on at my husband about "stuff".

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Hadley9th, I'm sorry to hear this. I think when our health takes an unexpected turn, it can have a devastating impact on our mental health. Have you been receiving any emotional support from your GP?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Hadley9th
    Options
    My GP has been amazing. She listens well, unfortunately whenever I go it's about another ailment so no time for talking about these things. And you know how difficult is to make appointment with your GP is.
    I talk to people on fb with my condition,  have even met a couple.  I miss all the girlie fun, were never to young for that.
  • Ami2301
    Options
    I know what you mean. When you say girly things, do you mean like pampering, etc?
  • Hadley9th
    Options
    Yeah, window shopping, lunch etc. I would absolutely love to get my make up done, put on a nice dress and go out. I have some lovely clothes, but nowhere to where them lol
  • paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    Options

@Hadley9th

Hi and welcome  :)

Sorry you're really missing the girlie things. 

Have to say though, your pic is an inspiration!  You look gorgeous in that dress and modern hairstyle  :)

Thank-you for that. I must pull myself together and improve my appearance. I look a mess!  :p
  • Ami2301
    Options
    Nothing better than a spot of window shopping! I'd love to be able to do it more often too, maybe you could put the idea to the support group you're involved in? Organise a pamper session, or a nice meal out with a few of them :)
  • paffuto10
    Options

Just realised (in case anyone thinks I'm bonkers)  :p
    @Hadley9th's full dress can be seen on her info page, not on this one! 

Lovely pic x

• Hadley9th
    Options
    @paffuro10 Thank you. Youve  made my day. I love my clothes. I buy most on Ebay or in sales. My hair  I'm very lucky with. Its thick and luckily didn't fall out during Cushings. I try to look my best whenever, I go out. Its makes you feel better. If I can help in any way please ask. I love helping to find a new look etc.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Hadley9th! Sorry to hear you are missing out on things like this, I appreciate how difficult this can be. 

Can't beat a bit of window shopping and a lovely lunch out! What things do you do at the moment? I like doing crafts when I can't get out of the house much.
    Scope

• paffuto10
    edited October 2019
    Options

@Chloe_Scope

I confess to too much gaming (love Skyrim) when I can't get out much. 

Then complain to son that he's Gaming too much!!!!   :p
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    Haha, nothing wrong with a bit of gaming @paffuto10:D
    Scope

• Hadley9th
    Options
    @Chloe_ScopeI took up beading 2 years ago. Started with simple bracelets then taught myself to make Christmas decorations, and now I'm onto flowers. I love it. But so expensive.  I like to cook to, but unfortunately that's a struggle now. No strength in my arms. I also forget I've put something in the oven lol. 
    I can no longer read as I forget what I've read. So it's like groundhog day, re reading the same paragraph over. Love horror films. Anything spooky.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    The beading sounds beautiful @Hadley9th! I love to crochet, although I don't do it as much as I'd like!

I'm sorry your memory has impacted some of your hobbies, do you think audio books would help? 
    Scope

• Hadley9th
    Options
    @Chloe_Scope
    I have tried them, but again I've forget what's happened. That's why films are good, cos watching a story has more of an impact. Unless it fast going with too many characters then I get confused and fidgety lol. I play a lot of word games on line and Quiz up. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    I'm glad films still are good. :)

You might like the letter change game that we have going on the community. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.