If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Social Prescribing: What it is and how it might help

Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Posts: 5,202Administrator Scope community team
Social prescribing is our current theme for blogs on the community, but what is it?

An article by Blurt answers this question:
Social prescribing is person-centred. What this means, is that rather than a clinician meeting with us and telling us what we need based on our diagnosis or social demographics, they have a conversation with us about how we’re currently managing and what we want out of the service. Do we want to work on adding more activities in our week? Perhaps we want to start volunteering so that we can build up experience to go back to work? Maybe we want to meet other people who are in a similar position to us?

Click here to read the full article.

If you'd like to catch up on all of our latest blogs then head to the guest blog posts board.

What do you think about social prescribing? What things do you think you'd benefit from doing? We'd love to hear from you in the comments!
Chloe
Online Community Officer

Replies

• FranstrahanFranstrahan Posts: 177Member Pioneering
    I dont know anything about them really, only my counsellor wants me to go with them. Anybody with them? How do they help?
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Posts: 5,202Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @Franstrahan and a very warm welcome to the community! Did the article above help at all? Social prescribing can be a wide variety of things that get people included into their local community. Do you have anything that you'd like to do?
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
    Well, getting a little part time job is my main aim! 
    Yes I read the article, so I'm a bit more aware of what they're about now. I speak to my counsellor again on Thurs so will tell her I'll give them a go.
    Both of them are great ideas!

Have you seen our employment services? We have a range of support which could help. :)
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
    Thanks, I'll check that out.
    Ok thank you, I'll get back to this. Talking to my counsellor on thurs so will tell her about what's available to help me here, see how she thinks I should progress.
    No problem at all @Franstrahan! I hope Thursday goes well. :)
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
    So do I. Will let you know right here, and stay in touch. Thank you.
  • April2018momApril2018mom Posts: 2,217Member - under moderation Disability Gamechanger
    I found that article very helpful. I have been trying to find out if there are any local community activities that would be appropriate for my son. There is another mom with a little girl my son’s age (a few months older) who also has open defect SB (L3 lesion) as well who live on my floor. She has had the same sort of issues as my son does except he did not need brain surgery or a trach.  

We are unable to find much in the local area for little children. The only thing I can find is a playscheme for disabled children. Why is this acceptable? We must end this form of social isolation. Everyone needs friends. Plus the opportunity to learn new skills. What could be better? 
    That frustrates me. I am thinking of setting up my own care company for babies, children and adults with physical impairments. It should not be this difficult. 
    Has anybody heard of a thing kind of similar to Social Prescribing called Wellbeing? Are they one and the same?
    Morning @Franstrahan, this is a very interesting question! If you would like to start a new thread here, people will be able to see your question and respond. :)
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
  • pollyanna1052pollyanna1052 Posts: 1,149Member Disability Gamechanger
    For me it is very important that I get out into the community. I am lucky that I don't live alone, but with my husband of 47 years. He is my main carer and it is hard going 24/7 when you live with a chronic disability. So getting out gives him respite from me and me a break too.
  • April2018momApril2018mom Posts: 2,217Member - under moderation Disability Gamechanger
    Has anybody heard of a thing kind of similar to Social Prescribing called Wellbeing? Are they one and the same?
    Yes
  • AilsAils Posts: 1,023Community champion Pioneering
    Like @pollyanna1052, my husband is my carer too so I agree, it is important for me also to get out and about, not only for my own wellbeing, but to give him a bit of respite too.  When we first moved to our area 2 years ago we didn't know anybody and so I contacted social sevices and they put me in touch with Healthy Connections which is an organisation who deal with all kinds of health and wellbeing issues in our area and I was introduced to their Community Link Worker, who came out to visit me and told me about different groups in the area.  Through that I have attended a knitting group and was a member of Capability Scotland for a while who used to run social outings for disabled people.  I then found out about other groups in my area such as Tai Chi myself.  I was lucky enough to have a good experience with the Community Link Worker as I have become friendly with her now and meet up with her every so often for lunch or a coffee and chat.  However, I agree that there needs to be more specific groups or one to one activities for disabled people to enjoy so from that point of view, Social Prescribing is a start to get people out who are lonely and feeling isolated.  :smile:
    April2018mom: I will check that out with my counsellor tomorrow. I thought they sounded the same when she talked about them last time. Was with Wellbeing last winter and they did nothing!
    Ails: I think maybe different parts of the country have this service under different names. Yours sounds great! I will give Social Prescribing a try and hope for the best.
  • WhileIBreathIHopeWhileIBreathIHope Posts: 216Member - under moderation Pioneering
    covering covering real costs a disabled person has and moving them out of poverty would be far more use, failing that poverty is an invisible cage that holds people back.
    Thank you for this insight @Ails! I am glad your Community Link Worker was so helpful!
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
    Just spoke to my counsellor. She is referring me to Social Prescribing. So I'll wait and see what happens. She doesnt think counselling is right for me while my depression and anxiety are due to circumstances. My circumstances are due ultimately I suppose to ASD and social anxiety. So I'll just wait and see what happens.
    Thanks @Chloe_Scope.  Yes, I agree that different parts of the country have different names, but all go under the bracket of Social Prescribing, @April2018mom.  Glad you are going to give it a go.  Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.  :smile:
    Btw my counsellor thinks the Wellbeing Service and Social Prescribing are two different things. I'll soon find out when they contact me but I certainly hope shes right!!
    I hope social prescribing is more beneficial for you. :)
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
    Yes, thank you. I know I need some help from someone, it just seems such a long time coming.
    I'm really glad I've found this forum. 
  • thespicemanthespiceman Posts: 5,000Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Chloe_Scope   Thank you for mentioning this post. Could be interesting for my self.

One of the big problems is after you leave a service. Usually mental health service or organisations.  They do not want to know or have you back.

Have given you the tools and anything else. Besides with so many it is practical common sense.

In my situation used up all the resources of all the area . I am living in.

Reason moved a lot. Where do members of the community go after a life time of mental health.

Where to now. I cope the best way I can. My many posts on here gives a place to help me.

My other problem is I am aware of my issues and problems can I learn something new can I get the help and support with out any difficulties.

Often meet a lot of staff who see me as a problem sorry to say that and try to bully me or dominate me with there ideals.

I am prepared to listen as I do but it  does not make it easy for me.

I know there are answers. Will discuss this with GP.

Thanks hope your doing OK.

Always happy to contribute.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    I had the Wellbeing Service last winter and they were with me 12 weeks, then my caseworker texted 'times up'. I rang head office coz they had basically done nothing for me but didn't get anywhere.
    So I'm hoping Social Prescribing is better.
    Spice man- have you been with Social Prescribing?
    Hello @Franstrahan   Pleased to meet you. Thanks very much for asking. No. I am always looking to educate, learn and cope with my issues.

I have used as I mentioned lots of mental health charities.

Stoneham, The Richmond Fellowship. MIND, Talking Changes many Local council services.

Used my wellbeing services as well many times.

Moved five times in to find help and support.

Use a lot of coping methods.

Might be worth a look.

Wish you well yourself it is something you would like to do.

Please if I can be supportive or you need to ask anything. Happy to help.  I am one of the community champions on the forum.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Ok thank you Spiceman
    Thank you for sharing this @thespiceman!
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
    Thank you for everyone who has contributed to this. Just bumping the post up. :)
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
  • dolfrogdolfrog Posts: 344Member Pioneering
    Hi @Chloe_Scope
    No matter which so called support service i have come across the main problem is that thye have no understanding of the complex nature of my disability, and most are even unwilling to begin to learn about the complex nature of my disability. and as all of my family share my disability, this becomes even more stressful. 
    From my experience no support service has yet began by saying something along the lines of " I understand the complex nature of your disability, how are we best able to help"
    so far we have only come across complete ignorance and incompetence even from the so called local medical professionals who should be trained and qualified to assess and diagnose our disability. such is the corrupt nature of UK audiologists, psychologists and speech and language. 
    Hi @dolfrog, thank you for bring this up. More certainly needs to be done to support those with complex disabilities. Have you any experience of social prescribing? :)
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
    Hi @Chloe_Scope
    Never heard of it until it was mentioned on here a week ago.
    From my perspective it comes across as another bogus support option just like the incompetent NHS WellBeing service which fails understand the complex nature of many invisible disabilities like mine. 
    So from my perspective it is more BS ignoring my real issues. 
    Wellbeing were hopeless with me. Yes I felt they didn't understand my needs. Like they were only able to deal with straightforward issues. So I'm holding out a lot of hope on Social Prescribing.
    For me it is very important that I get out into the community. I am lucky that I don't live alone, but with my husband of 47 years. He is my main carer and it is hard going 24/7 when you live with a chronic disability. So getting out gives him respite from me and me a break too.
    @pollyanna1052
    I wish I could go out into the community, but I have to avoid the lack of understand of my communication disability from all others in the community. They fail to understand my communication differences, and the communication problems i may experience, and they only treat me like an idiot. 
    So from my perspective now, the ignorance of my local community and the incompetence of the so called local support is the problem and why I am house bound. If it was not for my wife understanding our disability I would not be here.
    Hi @dolfrog, sorry you feel this way, it won't suit everyone and that's okay!

I hope you find out more soon @Franstrahan. :)
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
    Hi @Chloe_Scope
    I have noticed that KateJopling has not replied to any of the posts on her so called Guest Blog, which comes maccrosss a pure marketing of a product rather then explaining a support option. 
    You should delete such marketing
    Hi @dolfrog, Kate was a guest poster for us and therefore needed to create an account. It is quite possible that she has not been on again as her post is now live. I do appreciate your concerns and understand it must be frustrating if you have taken the time to write these responses.
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
  • lsapiechalsapiecha Posts: 1Member Listener
    Hello im new and have no idea on how to post so i came on to this msg Sorry
    Hello @lsapiecha   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining, that is fine.

Please do not apologise.  I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and help new members who join the community.

Please if I can suggest go to Our Welcomes and Introductions webpage.  You will see a post on Community Guide and house rules.

These are guides on how to post.  What you need to do .

Please if you have any problems please get in touch happy to help. Be supportive.

Anything you wished to know.

I hope you enjoy your time here.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Welcome to the community @lsapiecha! Great to have you here! Is there anything particular we can help with?

Here is a list of our most recent discussions and here is a list of all the topics that we cover on the community. I hope this helps you navigate around. :)
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
    dolfrog said:
    Hi @Chloe_Scope
    I have noticed that KateJopling has not replied to any of the posts on her so called Guest Blog, which comes maccrosss a pure marketing of a product rather then explaining a support option. 

Hi Dolfrog, I read many of your comments and understand how frustrating life is for you. I get this as I have been wrongly diagnosed twice and undiagnosed for many years. With rare disabilities, it is hard to find support groups. Might be a daft question but have you thought of starting one for your condition? There is a support group for rare diseases, which I expect you already know about.
    edited October 30
    dolfrog said:
    Hi @Chloe_Scope

Hi Dolfrog, I read many of your comments and understand how frustrating life is for you. I get this as I have been wrongly diagnosed twice and undiagnosed for many years. With rare disabilities, it is hard to find support groups. Might be a daft question but have you thought of starting one for your condition? There is a support group for rare diseases, which I expect you already know about.
    Hi @pollyanna1052  
    back in 2002 -2003 I set up the UK support group for my disability at the request of the UK Medical Research council  so that they could get government funding for a 5 year research program, they got their funding in 2004 vfor a 5 year research program. I helped run APDUK to explain and support those diagnosed as having APD. I even helped run a telephone help line, which still gets the odd call, even though APDUK was wound up in 2014. 
    I know many of the researchers and leading clinical consultants personally, as we met on various occasions while the research was being carried out and my family were assessed over the years. 
    I do have a Facebook Support group which currently has over 14,000 members (mainly parents of children who have APD in the USA) 

To be quite honest I am fed up with having to explain what my disability is, especially to the so called medical professionals who should be trained and qualified to understand, assess, diagnose, explain the complex nature of our disability.
    I just want to be understood by others so that I can just be me and my family to be able to be themselves. 

Hi @lsapiecha and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I hope you enjoy your time on the forum.  If there is anything you need help/support with then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
  • Jbes9Jbes9 Posts: 1Member Listener
    Hi, I am a social prescriber in South Wales. I love my work and see many benefits for the people I work with.  I’d like to know if Scope has services in my area ‘Neath Port Talbot and Upper valleys’ that myself and a colleague can refer to? 
    Many thanks
    Welcome to the community @Jbes9 and great to have you here. Here's a list of all the services that we have. Some offer online support, like the community, so can cover any area.
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
    Are there any activities for disabled children? I have not been able to find much. 
  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Posts: 7,732Administrator Scope community team
    Scope aren't offering specific activities for disabled children @April2018mom but you should have a look at what is offered in your area. 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Well done on the marvellous support group you started. It is  a shame it had to be wound up. I know just what you mean about having to explain your condition. It`s a pain. So may health professionals have never heard of HSP either.
  • Panda70Panda70 Posts: 23Member Connected
    I've seen form for social prescribing in my gp surgery but when I asked about it they didn't tell me anything, I'm new to my area and because I don't get out much I'm feeling increasingly lost n trapped, thank god for support sites x
    Panda70 said:
    I've seen form for social prescribing in my gp surgery but when I asked about it they didn't tell me anything, I'm new to my area and because I don't get out much I'm feeling increasingly lost n trapped, thank god for support sites x
    What is your favorite hobby? Do you love art? 
    Panda70 said:

Did you pick a form up? Does it have any useful info?
    Sorry to hear you are feeling trapped @Panda70. How would you feel booking an appointment and asking about social prescribing. If it's something they offer in your area it could be helpful. Please do let us know how you get on!
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
    Anybody know how long it takes the Social Prescribing people to get in touch after you have been referred? It was just over two weeks ago I think, that my counsellor did the referral.
    I know theres waiting lists and all, but just want a general idea as I'm anxious for something to happen, other then just waiting.
  • zakbloodzakblood Posts: 397Member Pioneering
    i maybe the odd one out here, as it sounds great, but tbh i've already mentioned it to someone who is working for it, and told them, it will help them more than it helps the ones who it's meant to help, the NHS already has far too many people doing little, but costing much, how about listen to those in need, instead of just spending more money and wasting it, without asking those who it's meant to help
    Think I will ring my counsellor tomorrow and find out what's going on. Thought at least a letter or email acknowledging my referral would have arrived by now. Even if there is a waiting list.
    Think I will ring my counsellor tomorrow and find out what's going on. Thought at least a letter or email acknowledging my referral would have arrived by now. Even if there is a waiting list.

Yes, I think that`s a good idea. x
    Pollyanna, thanks yes. At the back of my mind is the thought my counsellor might have forgotten to do the referral. I know they are extremely busy people. She kept calling me Faye instead of Fran at our last Skype which I think maybe shows the pressure on them.
    I just hope too that she didn't mix me up with someone else. Couple of other things she mentioned I just remembered haven't happened.
    Yes I'll ring them in the morning.
    Hi @Franstrahan, this sounds like a good idea. I hope you can figure out what is going on. :)
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
    I've left a message as they are not answering their phones. I know they are extremely busy by the waiting list I was on for counselling, but hopefully they'll get back soon.
    Is there a long wait for Social Prescribing do you know?
    I hope you are not waiting too long! Unfortunately this would depend on your area and isn't something we'd know. Please do keep us updated. :)
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
    Ok, thank you, I will do. 
    I've heard back from my counsellor who has done the referral to Social Prescribing, but so far not heard from them. I'd have thought maybe they acknowledge receipt of the referral, but seems not. My counsellor has cancelled counselling because she doesnt think I could take it at the moment. Dont entirely understand that but they know what they're doing.

Hello @Franstrahan   Thank you for your post and sharing.

I do understand one thing about Mental Health if you not happy or need to ask questions. No one is listening used this charity.

https://www.rethink.org.

There an advocate charity speak on your behalf. Explain to those who care for you what you need.

Any questions you need answering.  Have a chat with you before any appointments then be with you as attendance add a voice in the room.

Hope that helps.

One other aspect is finding what is right for you.

I used this one last time.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Mental health charity helped me a lot might not be in your area.  Only problem sorry if that is the case look at MIND.

Consider looking on line for support in your area.

MIND is another one.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

Please if I can help with anything get in touch.

Please keep safe and warm.

@thespiceman

Spiceman:
    I will look at those, especially Rethink. Thank you
    Hi @Franstrahan, I'm really glad your counsellor has been able to do the referral for you. It must have been a bit of a shock for them to cancel on you? Will you be seeing them again soon?
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
    Chloe:
    I dont know. It's a bit weird I think. I said I would like to carry on with the counselling but she doesnt think I could take it and thinks Social Prescribing is the better way to go at the mo, but says I can come back straight away after finished with SP. The first section of counselling I had was kind of 'light' I suppose. Basically just trying to lift your spirits by encouraging you to do things you enjoy. I wanted the kind of counselling where you could talk it through more. Two sessions only with last counsellor. She says it will be like open heart surgery and I'm not ready for it yet. Suppose they know best.
    Spicemans given me Rethink to look at, so I'm going to search through their website.
    Hi @Franstrahan, I'm glad you have the option to go back. It sounds like you have a lot going on, and like you said, they know better.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for social prescribing and please take care. :)
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
    I'm taking bets on which I get first: my WCA or a visit from Social Prescribing.
    Thanks Chloe
    Haha, I guess we'll have to wait and see @Franstrahan!
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
    They've been in touch. But I was at hospital and missed call. So hopefully Monday. . .
    Social Prescribing that is. So will post here once heard from them.
    That's great news @Franstrahan! I hope you hear from them today. :)
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
  • veritercveriterc Posts: 161Community champion Pioneering
    Chloe
    Just read your comment, and seems to me that what we often need is old-fashioned, sensible advice.  And the chance to talk through options with someone who understands how the system works.  When I had cancer, I just wanted a sane and sensible person who could advise me - but instead I kept on being offered counseling when I really needed sound, practical advice.   It's rarer than the proverbial hen's teeth!
  • chefdavechefdave Posts: 8Member Listener
    Never knew it was called social prescribing. I went through this when I was leaving my dark days of C-PTSD. With encouragement from my mental health team and a new job advisor I started volunteering 2 days week. It was very strange to be among people who where not part of my mental health team. It did me a lot of good. Now hold down a part time job. The transition from total self destruct mode to a functioning member of society is an interesting journey. Have had blips on way but glad the worst of dark days are behind me. What little I remember about the 6 month almost total memory blackout is far from pleasant and 2 years of EMDR. the right people behind you, it is amazing what you can achieve. Was lucky that a had a large team of people willing to guide and support me. Still have more progression to achieve but can now contribute to society through my job. Baby steps is the way forward for me. Have finally started to understand what I did in my undiagnosed PTSD state of huge mental processing can no longer be done. Gone from being a leader to a follower but far happier now than I've ever been. Now on threapy sessions to get me to socialize with people in a group/large numbers. Still cannot cope with crowds or confined spaces. Need an exit plan at all times. Perhaps it will never go perhaps it will time will tell. Meeting people in very small groups I cope with and have had many a fun conversation. So hope springs eternal.
Sign in or join us to comment.