Social Prescribing: What it is and how it might help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Social Prescribing: What it is and how it might help

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
Social prescribing is our current theme for blogs on the community, but what is it?

An article by Blurt answers this question:
Social prescribing is person-centred. What this means, is that rather than a clinician meeting with us and telling us what we need based on our diagnosis or social demographics, they have a conversation with us about how we’re currently managing and what we want out of the service. Do we want to work on adding more activities in our week? Perhaps we want to start volunteering so that we can build up experience to go back to work? Maybe we want to meet other people who are in a similar position to us?

Click here to read the full article.

If you'd like to catch up on all of our latest blogs then head to the guest blog posts board.

What do you think about social prescribing? What things do you think you'd benefit from doing? We'd love to hear from you in the comments!
Scope

Comments

• Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    I dont know anything about them really, only my counsellor wants me to go with them. Anybody with them? How do they help?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Franstrahan and a very warm welcome to the community! Did the article above help at all? Social prescribing can be a wide variety of things that get people included into their local community. Do you have anything that you'd like to do?
    Scope

• Bettahm
    Well, getting a little part time job is my main aim! 
  • Bettahm
    Yes I read the article, so I'm a bit more aware of what they're about now. I speak to my counsellor again on Thurs so will tell her I'll give them a go.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Both of them are great ideas!

Have you seen our employment services? We have a range of support which could help. :)
    Scope

• Bettahm
    Thanks, I'll check that out.
  • Bettahm
    Ok thank you, I'll get back to this. Talking to my counsellor on thurs so will tell her about what's available to help me here, see how she thinks I should progress.
  • Chloe_Scope
    No problem at all @Franstrahan! I hope Thursday goes well. :)
    Scope

• Bettahm
    So do I. Will let you know right here, and stay in touch. Thank you.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I found that article very helpful. I have been trying to find out if there are any local community activities that would be appropriate for my son. There is another mom with a little girl my son’s age (a few months older) who also has open defect SB (L3 lesion) as well who live on my floor. She has had the same sort of issues as my son does except he did not need brain surgery or a trach.  

We are unable to find much in the local area for little children. The only thing I can find is a playscheme for disabled children. Why is this acceptable? We must end this form of social isolation. Everyone needs friends. Plus the opportunity to learn new skills. What could be better? 
    That frustrates me. I am thinking of setting up my own care company for babies, children and adults with physical impairments. It should not be this difficult. 
  • Bettahm
    Has anybody heard of a thing kind of similar to Social Prescribing called Wellbeing? Are they one and the same?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Morning @Franstrahan, this is a very interesting question! If you would like to start a new thread here, people will be able to see your question and respond. :)
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    For me it is very important that I get out into the community. I am lucky that I don't live alone, but with my husband of 47 years. He is my main carer and it is hard going 24/7 when you live with a chronic disability. So getting out gives him respite from me and me a break too.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Has anybody heard of a thing kind of similar to Social Prescribing called Wellbeing? Are they one and the same?
    Yes
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Like @pollyanna1052, my husband is my carer too so I agree, it is important for me also to get out and about, not only for my own wellbeing, but to give him a bit of respite too.  When we first moved to our area 2 years ago we didn't know anybody and so I contacted social sevices and they put me in touch with Healthy Connections which is an organisation who deal with all kinds of health and wellbeing issues in our area and I was introduced to their Community Link Worker, who came out to visit me and told me about different groups in the area.  Through that I have attended a knitting group and was a member of Capability Scotland for a while who used to run social outings for disabled people.  I then found out about other groups in my area such as Tai Chi myself.  I was lucky enough to have a good experience with the Community Link Worker as I have become friendly with her now and meet up with her every so often for lunch or a coffee and chat.  However, I agree that there needs to be more specific groups or one to one activities for disabled people to enjoy so from that point of view, Social Prescribing is a start to get people out who are lonely and feeling isolated.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Bettahm
    April2018mom: I will check that out with my counsellor tomorrow. I thought they sounded the same when she talked about them last time. Was with Wellbeing last winter and they did nothing!
    Ails: I think maybe different parts of the country have this service under different names. Yours sounds great! I will give Social Prescribing a try and hope for the best.
  • WhileIBreathIHope
    WhileIBreathIHope Posts: 216 Pioneering
    covering covering real costs a disabled person has and moving them out of poverty would be far more use, failing that poverty is an invisible cage that holds people back.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thank you for this insight @Ails! I am glad your Community Link Worker was so helpful!
    Scope

• Bettahm
    Just spoke to my counsellor. She is referring me to Social Prescribing. So I'll wait and see what happens. She doesnt think counselling is right for me while my depression and anxiety are due to circumstances. My circumstances are due ultimately I suppose to ASD and social anxiety. So I'll just wait and see what happens.
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks @Chloe_Scope.  Yes, I agree that different parts of the country have different names, but all go under the bracket of Social Prescribing, @April2018mom.  Glad you are going to give it a go.  Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.