New style ESA advice needed — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New style ESA advice needed

vivienne1
vivienne1 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
Hi I have a couple of questions that I need to ask about new style ESA, I hope someone can help. My husband recently died and I haven't coped very well including a suicide attempt so I took my ESA 50 form to the CAB for assistance filling it in but the person dealing with it is off sickand they've lost it! Can I ask for a new form and an extension on the date for returning as they cant give mean appointment before it's due back.

Also, how long is it between returning the form and getting your assessment? At this assessment should I tell them that I hope to return to work when I am coping better (my job has been kept open for me) or just tell them how I'm affected just now. I am getting my civil service pension early on financial hardship grounds, do I need to tell them? I wasn't sure as I'm not on a means tested benefit.

The other thing is they told me to just upload my sicklines but where do I do that? 

Many thanks.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Are you saying you took the form to your local CAB and left it there?

You will not be able to get an extension for returning the work capability assessment form and it must be returned no later than the date stated. If it's not returned by that date then you risk being found fit for work for failing to return the form.

Here's a link that will allow you to download the form and print it off. There will not be enough of time to ring and ask for another form to be sent to you because of the 4 week deadline for it to be returned.

There's no timescales for waiting times for assessments after returning the form, some wait a couple of weeks and other wait several months.

Evidence needs to be sent with the form when you return it because they rarely contact anyone for this. The onus is on you to make sure its sent to support your claim. During the assessment you'll be assessed on your ability to do any type of work and not just your current job.

When filling out the form you should put as much detail as possible about how your conditions affect you. The more information you tell them the better it will be for you.

Your pension is not counted for New style ESA unless it's more than £85 per week, if it's more than this then your ESA will be reduced. You still need to tell them that you're claiming this pension and all changes need to be reported.

Fit notes to be sent until a decision's been made on your claim, if you don't continue to send them then your ESA payments will be suspended until the are sent. Send it here https://www.gov.uk/send-fit-note

Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • vivienne1
    vivienne1 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Thanks poppy, that's everything I needed to know answered perfectly.

Yes, the form was left with the CAB. They asked me to prepare part of it and hand it in before my appointment with them but when I went today they couldn't find it and told me to re arrange with a new form as no one in did benefit work.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.