Waiting for a autistic diagnosis for my 16 year old son. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Waiting for a autistic diagnosis for my 16 year old son.

Michelle80
Michelle80 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
I don't know how to handle this please help I'm a single mum.  ?

Comments

• WhileIBreathIHope
    WhileIBreathIHope Posts: 216 Pioneering
    edited October 2019
    Local level National Autistic Society members who have actually lived with a relative can be good. 

Avoid NAS regional and national as only focused on revenue-while willing to put staff and clients in dangerous situations.

I had a childhood diagnosis before one man and his dog got diagnosed. 

I have a partner of 15 plus years, two kids and a dog. 

Currently self employed. 

So believe in change and your sons future. 
  • Michelle80
    Hes  got his mocks next week. 
  • Michelle80
    I find this hard as I was a domestic abuse relationship emotional and mental abuse controlled 18 years.  I know I'm free but it's still very raw even if it's been 3years since hes been out of my house and life . ?
  • WhileIBreathIHope
    WhileIBreathIHope Posts: 216 Pioneering
    I imagine your overwhelmed and when your son gets a formal diagnosis he should get time allowance if required. 

Try to keep things as routine as possible and I understand that the situation must be hard for you. 

Does your son have any clubs or hobbies?
    Or family members to give you both some respite? 

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,301 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019
    Just remember nothing will change (for the worse) when / if he gets a diagnosis - it’s just a label - he will be the same as he was before you got the diagnosis and the ways you deal with him will be just the same.

All it is is a label which in this society is a useful thing as it will enable him to get the help he needs.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you contacted the National Autism Society or not? https://www.autism.org.uk/
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,036 Disability Gamechanger
    Totally agree that nothing will change if he's diagnosed. He will still be the same person he was before he was diagnosed.

My daughter was diagnosed when she was 17, i fully expected that diagnosis and wasn't at all surprised. To me she's my daughter and nothing changed. The only difference is, is that now the future looks brighter for her because she now gets the help she needs.

It's really not such a bad thing being diagnosed with ASD.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Michelle80 and a really warm welcome to the community. Thank you for reaching out and I imagine things are really tough at the moment. 

Have you had much support since getting out of your abusive relationship? I fully appreciate that the affects of this are not gone and it sounds like you feel it is still really raw. Women's Aid are an organisation that might be able to provide some additional support and guidance. I will give you the contact information below:
    Contact the Freephone 24 hour National Domestic Violence Helpline – run in partnership between Women’s Aid and Refuge.

0808 2000 247

[email protected]
    Does your son currently have any support at school?

Here is some information about education that you can look through in your own time. If there is any specific guidance that you need then please do let us know!
    Scope

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    The National Autistic Society say:

Your child’s rights before diagnosis

Getting benefits and support is supposed to be based on what a person appears to need, not what diagnosis they have. So you can apply for benefits and support for your child whether or not they have an autism diagnosis. Your child may be entitled to:

As a parent/carer, you may also be able to claim Carer’s Allowance.

Post-diagnostic support

An autism diagnosis can be difficult to come to terms with. You may be coping with a condition you know very little about, and trying to find new ways for everyone to live together and feel supported. Some professionals offer a follow-up service, but what this includes varies. It can mean regular visits to monitor your child’s progress or telephone advice.

Find out more about support you can get after your child’s diagnosis, and guidance on telling your child about their diagnosis.

As others have said, your son will be the same person after any diagnosis as he was before. You sound like you've been through an awful lot in your life and it is good that you have reached out here and spoken about your worries. I hope we can offer you some of the support you need.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.