Disapointed in the amount of back pay — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disapointed in the amount of back pay

gazzasimonds67
gazzasimonds67 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited November 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, I received a letter like so many other people saying that I might be owed money a few months back and I have just received another letter saying that I am entitled to £124.70 from 16th April 2013 to 10th April 2014, my question is, is this all I am owed as I have read that the average payment was £2500 and upwards up to£20,000, I am so heartbroken at the amount they have paid me as I was expecting a lot more

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm assuming you're talking about the incapacity benefit to ESA underpayments here? If so then the amount of money that you may have been entitled to will totally depend on your circumstances during the dates stated in your post above.

They would have assessed all of your circumstances and this will include income from partner that works, or may have claimed other benefits during that time. Income from pensions, savings/capital, transitional support protection that you may have been receiving when you transferred across and what group you may have been placed into etc etc.

Not everyone that moved across will be entitled to backdated money, some haven't been entitled to anything at all. Yes, i've heard lots of people have received thousands but i've also heard of lots of people that haven't been entitled to anything.

As the time scale you were assessed between is very short then it was never going to be a huge amount of money. It's really impossible to give any further advice without knowing all of your details during that time and seeing the paper work from DWP.

If you think the decision isn't correct then you'll need to make an appointment with an advice agency and tell them all of your details between those dates and they will advise you accordingly.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @gazzasimonds67! Have you contacted anyone about this?
    Scope

• gazzasimonds67
    No, not yet, I will contact them soon thanks, it's just that I keep reading that the average payment is thousands and I get a measly £124.00, just my luck lol

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Don't believe everything you read because being entitled to the Income related top up will totally depend on your circumstances. When in the Support Group claiming income related there's only 1 disability premium which is automatically paid, this premium is the Enhanced disability premium and single person amount for this during those dates were approximately £15.15 per week. This means the maximum you could have claimed extra for that year was approximately £787. Being entitled to all that will of course depend on your circumstances, which is impossible to advise further with no information given.

As you would have told DWP your circumstances during those dates they would have assessed you with the information given. I can only assume that the amount you received is correct.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately not everyone will be entitled to such a high amount. I hope ringing up can give you more clarification. 
    Scope

• gazzasimonds67
    Thanks for all your comments, I will phone them up just for clarification

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.