Am I entitled to any disability premiums? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Am I entitled to any disability premiums?

sceneparade
sceneparade Community member Posts: 90 Courageous
I have just won part of my PIP claim and have been told I am entitled to the higher rate care component. 

Having been researching online, the gov.uk website states I am entitled to disability premium, severe disability premium and/or enhanced disability premium. The eligibility for the SDP is middle rate or higher rate care component, and EDP states I need to be on the higher rate care component. 

However, I am unsure whether I can apply or not. Could anyone advise. Thanks. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,029 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It will depend what other benefits you receive. If you're claiming Income Related ESA and you're in the support group then the Enhanced disability premium is automatically paid.

If you're in the WRAG then you will be entitled to the Enhanced disability premium because you're now claiming Enhanced daily living PIP.

The Enhanced disability premium is only paid when claiming Income related ESA it's not paid when claiming any other benefit.

The Severe disability premium isn't automatically paid because there's criteria you need to meet to be eligible. Firstly no one must be claiming Carers allowance for looking after you and you must live alone or be classed as living alone. If you don't live alone then everyone over the age of 18 must also be claiming a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance.

The disability premium is only paid if you're claiming Income support or Income Related JSA, it's not paid if you're claiming Income Related ESA.

If you're claiming Universal Credit or New style ESA then no disability premiums are paid. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sceneparade
    So anyone new applying for ESA gets nothing but £111 per week? Seems unfair. 

I receive universal credit for housing benefit but that's it. 

I also get ESA new style I think. I have paid NI for the last 5 years.
  • poppy123456
    New style ESA is Contributions based only, there's no income related top up available for this.

As you're claiming Universal credit then you should be receiving  the LCWRA element to top up your income, as well as the housing element, are you receiving the LCWRA element? This is £336 per month. Your ESA should be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC payments.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sceneparade
    No I am not receiving LCWRA. 

I get universal credit for housing which is £422 per month. I was getting universal credit payments for about a month or so at first and receiving £146 per week. But since my application for ESA was approved they took it away and I receive the same amount from ESA instead. I am not getting anything that would be considered any 'top ups' for having a disability.
  • poppy123456
    As you're in the support group for ESA then you should be receiving the LCWRA of UC. You won't receive any extra money as such for having a disability because you're claiming New style ESA and the premiums don't exist for UC.

When did your claim for ESA start and when did you first claim UC? also when were you placed into the support group for ESA?
  • sceneparade
    ESA claim started back in June or around that time.

Universal Credit started at the end of May. 

I am currently in neither work-related activity group or support group. 

Is the £336 extra UC payment on top of the standard £73 per week? 

• poppy123456
    Thanks for that information. This would be the reason why you're not receiving the LCWRA because you're not currently in the Support Group for ESA and you're still on assessment rate.

Once a decision's been made on your work capability assessment if you're placed into the support group then you will receive the extra LCWRA of £336 per month. If the decision is just LCW (WRAG) then you won't receive any extra money each month for UC and your New style ESA payments will end after 365 days.
  • sceneparade
    Okay, thanks. 

• poppy123456
    No problem.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.