What am I entitled to? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What am I entitled to?

puddin60
puddin60 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
hello everyone came on here to see if anyone can help im working so is my husband but i have COPD rheumatoid arthritis  i have had a mini heart attack i have irregular heart beat im working 33 hours a week in a care home  im thinking of reducing as its getting too much for me someone said i could claim for some benefits even thought my husband works ? 

Comments

• puddin60
    puddin60 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    i forgot to say im 59 tomorrow x

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 10,666 Scope online community team
    Hi @puddin60, Happy Birthday and welcome to the community!

Depending on how your conditions affect your daily life, you might be entitled to PIP, you can read more about it here. This isn't means-tested, so it won't be affected by the fact your husband works.
    If you're having difficulty working, owing to health or disability, you could also read about the eligibility criteria for new style ESA. This also isn't means-tested.
    Your only other option would be Universal Credit, but this is means-tested and would be dependent on things such as household income. Universal Credit can be claimed while working, but it depends on your circumstances as it's an income-related benefit, so it's reduced by household earnings.

I hope that's helped to give you a basic overview, but if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,031 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Happy birthday and welcome. To add to the information Adrian has given for the New Style ESA then if you are having difficulties working then you need to look at claiming SSP from your employer before claiming ESA as this is payable for 28 weeks.

You can pop your details into a benefits calculator and it will tell you if you're entitled to any Universal Credit. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/ They are usually quite accurate if the information you put in is correct. Or a visit to your local advice centre maybe useful for a full benefits check if you're unable to use the calculator.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.