Pip assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assessment

garteth
garteth Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hello all

I have a a strange assessment scenario and I need advice on what to do.

I have a face to face assessment booked in for Monday. I have previously sent ATOS a letter from my GP stating that it would be best suited if I could have a home visit as I struggle to leave the house.

ATOS have refused a home visit because as far as they are concerned, if I can travel by car to my GP, then I can travel to my assessment.

The thing is my GP is less than a mile away, and my assessment is 25 miles away.

I have spoken to the DWP, was put through to a decision maker who was shocked that ATOS have not offered me a home assessment.

This is the part where I need advice.

He told me that if I feel I cannot attend then I shouldn't go, the case would then get sent back to a decision maker who will see a note that he has written to say that we have spoken today and that I have made it clear I cannot travel that distance.

Do you think I should put my faith in the DWP's hands?  I have been a mess since receiving my renewal which has gotten worse the closer it gets to assessment day. I don't know what to do.

Comments

• garteth
    Hello all

I have a a strange assessment scenario and I need advice on what to do.

I have a face to face assessment booked in for Monday. I have previously sent ATOS a letter from my GP stating that it would be best suited if I could have a home visit as I struggle to leave the house.

ATOS have refused a home visit because as far as they are concerned, if I can travel by car to my GP, then I can travel to my assessment.

The thing is my GP is less than a mile away, and my assessment is 25 miles away.

I have spoken to the DWP, was put through to a decision maker who was shocked that ATOS have not offered me a home assessment.

This is the part where I need advice.

He told me that if I feel I cannot attend then I shouldn't go, the case would then get sent back to a decision maker who will see a note that he has written to say that we have spoken today and that I have made it clear I cannot travel that distance.

Do you think I should put my faith in the DWP's hands?  I have been a mess since receiving my renewal which has gotten worse the closer it gets to assessment day. I don't know what to do.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I must admit that's not the greatest advice you've had from a decision maker. It's the health assessment providers that decide who needs an assessment or not. It's nothing to do with the DWP until the assessment report has been returned.

The health assessment providers will often refuse a home assessment if you attend other appointments. I wouldn't advise you not to attend the assessment because if you do this then your file could be returned to DWP and your PIP will very likely stop, if it's a review, for failing to attend the assessment. If this happens then the MR is your first step, followed by Tribunal if the MR decision remains the same.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    edited November 2019
    Personally I would attend unless I had the decision makers assurance in writing. Others may give better advice though. 
  • garteth
    I tried mentioning ea2010 over the phone to ATOS and the guy just said "I don't know anything about the equality act. We use godliness started by DWP so you will have to take it up with them".
  • poppy123456
    Put it in writing and not over the phone. I'm not sure why he told you to speak to DWP because it's nothing to do with them at this stage.

If all else fails do you have someone to go with you? This maybe your only option because it's not unusual for them to refuse a home assessment if you attend other appointments.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you called Citizen's Advice or not? This is one of the things which they can help with. Definitely call back to explain. 
  • Taliesen
    Taliesen Community member Posts: 49 Connected
    Rather then talk I g to citizens advice try talking to the disabled advice bearu. 
  • garteth
    But the appointment is Monday.
  • poppy123456
    It's far too late to speak to any advice centre now because the appointment is Monday. Did you do what i advised on your other thread?

I definitely wouldn't advice you not to attend without contacting the health assessment providers. Failing to attend the assessment could very likely see you being refused PIP and your money could stop.
  • garteth
    I won't have anyone to go with me which.
    I would understand where they are coming from if the assessment centre was local but it is 25 miles away.
  • garteth
    I feel cheated.
    I called them again today for one final attempt at getting a home visit.

I was told that as the appointment was on Monday it was too late.

I was told that when I sent in my GP's letter requesting for a home visit the appointment should have been cancelled, which it was not.

This feels like a massive ATOS c*ck up, and now I am paying the price.

The thing is deep down I know that if I do not attend, it does not matter what the decision maker has told me, I think I will have my PIP taken away from me. 

So I either put myself through hell trying to attend, or tell ATOS I will not be attending and hope that the DWP go in my favour.
  • poppy123456
    An assessment report must be written, if one isn't written then DWP will not be able to make a decision on your claim. I would not trust DWP's advice at this stage because if you don't attend then your PIP could definitely stop for failing to attend.

If you haven't canceled one appointment then there's no reason why you can't cancel this one and i've no idea why you were told this today when you rang the health assessment providers. Everyone is allowed to cancel one appointment and i wouldn't have accepted that advice today.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @garteth. How did you get on yesterday?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • garteth
    I didn't go. I had a meltdown in the morning and thought it's just not worth it.
    I will wait for the DWP to call me and I will explain that I told ATOS that I could not travel 25 miles, and that even my GP recommended that I have a home visit.
    There is not more I can do than that.
    If I lose my PIP then I will just appeal.
  • poppy123456
    Have you rang DWP? If you haven't then i'd advise you to do that ASAP and explain to them exactly what happened. Tell them that you rang the health assessment providers on Saturday and you were told you couldn't cancel the appointment because it was too late. When Monday arrived you couldn't attend because your anxiety was too much.

If you don't ring them there's a very high chance your PIP will stop. If it stops you will need to request the MR based on the reasons why you didn't attend the assessment. Please don't leave it until DWP contact you. Good luck.
  • garteth
    edited November 2019
    Called DWP, and told them why I missed the assessment.
    Going to be looked over by a decision maker now and probably sent back to ATOS.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope they are able to offer something more suitable @garteth! Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• garteth
    So they cancelled my pip claim. Gutted.
    Asked for a mandatory reconsideration.
    Takes up to 10 weeks so just wait and see again.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    That must be so frustrating @garteth! Fingers crossed you won't be waiting too long!
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.