Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Concerned about the Coronavirus?

We've put together some helpful information and advice about Covid-19 on our website.

You can also read about: improving your wellbeing, getting food and essentials and claiming benefits during this time.

Wbat are we having for sunday lunch?

mrbuttonsmrbuttons Member Posts: 197 Pioneering
edited November 2019 in Coffee lounge
Thought that this might be a fun discussion to have and a prompt to those of us who need a little inspiration to try something new for sunday lunch.

Im being very boring im having leftover beef and ale stew with roast potatoes and frozen veg (broccoli and carrots and sainsburys dripping basted frozen roasties) followed by apple strudel and custard. All can be done in the oven or the microwave within half an hour. So no major preparation or cooking involved.

My favourite sunday meal is a roast chicken with all the trimmings but im saving that for christmas day.
What are you having?

Replies

• woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    My favourite veg atm are parsnips roasted in the oven with a good dollop of golden syrup over them for the last 5 minutes yum
  • mrbuttonsmrbuttons Member Posts: 197 Pioneering
    woodbine said:
    My favourite veg atm are parsnips roasted in the oven with a good dollop of golden syrup over them for the last 5 minutes yum
    i forgot how tasty parsnips are esp roasted with carrots with roast lamb. ive only ever used honey because i forget to buy golden syrup, but i will put it on my Christmas shopping list.
  • April2018momApril2018mom Member - under moderation Posts: 2,802 Disability Gamechanger
    Instead of Sunday lunch, we do a two course meal for dinner. The first course consists of a healthy chicken and vegetable dish and the second course is dessert. Tomorrow I have made a lovely chicken risotto with cut up potatoes and for dessert a fruit cake with left over crisps. 
  • pollyanna1052pollyanna1052 Member Posts: 1,841 Disability Gamechanger
    think I`m off round to Mr Buttons`s place!

• Ami2301Ami2301 Community champion Posts: 6,292 Disability Gamechanger
    I thought you meant it takes 7 weeks to cook @poppy123456 😂
    Community Champion
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 18,452 Disability Gamechanger
    Ami2301 said:
    I thought you meant it takes 7 weeks to cook @poppy123456 😂
    Haha you are funny lol
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,610 Scope community team
    My favourite element of a Sunday lunch is the mash potato! 
    Community Partner

Scope
  • April2018momApril2018mom Member - under moderation Posts: 2,802 Disability Gamechanger
    My favorite bit is the ice cream! On Sundays after lunch we have fruitcake and ice cream for pudding. I also love the mashed vegetables and meat that make up the first part of the meal. We also start with prayers. 
  • AilsAils Community champion Posts: 1,638 Disability Gamechanger
    I love going to my parents for Sunday lunch and having my mum's steak pie with sausages in it, veg and roast or boiled potatoes or sometimes we have roast beef or chicken and I usually take a dessert.  The food on here sounds amazing!  :smiley:
    This Sunday we are having a mini Sunday dinner. Instead of a roast, I have decided to mix things up a bit. I’m going to cook mashed potatoes with reduced fat cream and for dessert, I think that apple crumble or leftover pumpkin pie will be fine. I was originally going over to a friend for dinner but she is unwell she texted today around lunchtime. Now I am hungry! 
  • thespicemanthespiceman Community champion Posts: 6,211 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello every one another Sunday recipe you can do for lunch is The Winter Ragu sauce with any meat.

Pork or Chicken or Lamb good cheap cuts  .  Pork Shoulder steaks or Chicken Thighs or Lamb Shoulder or Neck.

INGREDIENTS.

Onions, Celery two or three sticks diced and chopped.

Pack of Swede and Carrot mix. Most supermarket sell this for mashing but I use this as Ragu sauce.  Might not use it all portion for numbers.

Carton of Passata 500g Tub Chicken stock or whatever you wish to cover up meat and veggies.

Tomato puree and seasonings black pepper. Chilies if wish to or use Paprika any other spices work well here use Ground Coriander or use Cinnamon use half a teaspoon each or use a quarter of chillies.

Do not wish to add spices use the following.

Chicken herbs - Rosemary, Thyme.

Pork herbs - Fennel Seeds and Sage

Lamb . Beef - Oregano and Bay leaf.

Use a slow cooker here to its advantage as the cuts of meat need slow cooker. I do advise using one it is does help to tenderise the meat.

I would also advise this is a simple one pot meal no frills easy to do.

You can add Pasta to this, shred the meat add to Spaghetti or use with any shapes. Done this with Penne or Rigatoni.

When you cook the Ragu in the slow cooker.

Have a warm bowl ready use a microwave a portion of the vegetables, meat to any drained Pasta.

Mix together. Top with Parmesan cheese .

Any left over another meal.

METHOD

Meat of your choice Chicken remove the skin and others dice up in to largish chunks. Add to a freezer bag add Black pepper touch of salt and seal shake. You could add Garlic Powder or granules or any dried herbs. Have added Italian mix a half a teaspoon or spices chillies or Paprika.

In a separate pan colour meat add vegetables to stock pot colour season add olive oil add dash tomato puree any dried herbs and simply just cover with Passata, Stock. .

Note I use a separate pan for those cuts like Pork or Lamb that tend to be fatty.  Add diced to freezer bag and then to a separate pan.

Then add to stockpot bring to a boil simmer a few minutes. To slow cooker and then all the meat vegetables. Cover portion sauce might not use it all. 

On slow cooker low to four to six hours.

No Pasta I suggest use tinned pulses Lentils or Cannellini or Chickpeas.

Bueno Apetito

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
    Anyone have a good Sunday lunch last week? :)
    Community Partner

Scope
    Anyone have a good Sunday lunch last week? :)
    I did!
    Hello @Chloe_Scope   Always do have a spicy time lol.

Of course.  Love my Chilies lol.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
    Good choice @thespiceman:D
    Community Partner

Scope
    Same as last week!
    I couldn't wait until Christmas for my roast dinner, im having one tomorrow. roast chicken and potatoes green beans and carrots, followed by bread and butter pudding and ice cream. haven't felt much like eating during the week so I will make up for it tomorrow.
  • FranstrahanFranstrahan Member Posts: 898 Pioneering
    It wont be lunch, it'll be tea around 6pm. But if all goes well chicken thighs, potato, onion, swede and carrots done in my new slow cooker with a chasseur sauce.
  • CressidaCressida Member Posts: 389 Pioneering
    Meditterean chicken. Chicken thighs, potatoes, garlic, onion, streaky bacon, olives, courgettes, preserved lemons roasted in one pan. It smells delicious, thank you Mary Berry. 
    Hello @Cressida   Great recipe.  Med so many different variations thought share some of mine might be something you wish to try.

I use combinations of Peppers and Potatoes in the slow cooker with Pork Shoulder. Herbs, Fennel seeds, Paprika and Chilli.

Use Red roasted Peppers with Chicken Thighs with Zucchini .Chill and Cherry tomatoes.  Add in Potatoes.

Use a Passata cartons with herbs, garlic  Onions.

TESCO do a Med roasted pack with all the vegetable sliced, Frozen add to a stockpot or slow cooker defrost first.

Aubergines, Zucchini, etc.  Add in last defrost boiling kettle bowl and drain.

Use Cannellini Beans, Chickpeas with Chicken or Pork with Peppers, Zucchini.

Or Carrots add in pancetta cubes .  Paprika or ground Coriander, add in Rosemary, Thyme, Basil or Parsley to these dishes.

You can buy frozen herbs all chopped up ready to use.

Hope that helps.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
    Sounds great @thespiceman!
    Community Partner

Scope
    Ive already decided on baked bbq chicken wings baked potatoes and salad.
    Wings and spuds go in the oven for 45 mins .

home made bbq sauce, ketchup,honey , chopped garlic and worcestershire sauce in a saucucepan until it simmers pour over baked wings and thats it. All done in an hour no fuss.
    Hello @mrbuttons   Good spice mix for Chicken nothing expensive. I use these all the time. Spice mixes.  Seasoning mixes.
    Chicken Seasoning, All Purpose Seasoning. My Italian friends have always the last one in, as it insinuates tomato sauce with Chill and Vegetable pastas.
    Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Paprika and Smoked Paprika with Black Pepper Ground Coriander, Fennel Seeds and Oregano half a teaspoon each is one I make up.
    Italian Mix goes great with Drumsticks and Thighs, add in touch of chilli flakes.
    Use a large freezer bag add spices and add Chicken could add Lemon juice. Lemon Juice buy a bottle, helps.
    Great Lunch hope you enjoy.
    Please take care hope these ideas help.
    @thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • crackercracker Member Posts: 317 Pioneering
    Oatmeal, peanut butter and crackers, chocolate milk shake, yoghurt and cookies (lots!) 

Can you tell I really dislike cooking?
    Thanks for the tip ,spiceman.i will try the lemon juice one in the week. I have most of the other stuff already but i dont use them as much as i could or try different combinations. I will try to be more adventurous.

Each to their own Cracker.if youre not one for cooking do what you like, no pressure. Try to stay healthy. Try a few fresh veggies and fruit occasionally for vitamins and fibre.

Hello @mrbuttons   Good morning to you cold one, hope your keeping warm.
    I watch a programme called Diners, Drive ins and Dives . On the food net work.
    Has a lot of ideas, including spice mixes and rubs.
    The fun part make something you like.
    Enjoy experimenting and testing recipes.
    I buy spice mixes form supermarkets use like last night. Did Chicken Chilli sauce with Rigatoni.
    Had a jar of spicy Pepper Sauce, add in a tub of Pasta sauce small one blended it up.  Had chillies in it and herbs time saver.
    I buy these small tubs of Pasta made sauce supermarket sell, often useful. Tired and need a quick lunch use them with some cooked Pasta or use with any left  what's in stores veggies.
    Used a garlic pasta sauce spice mix had dried herbs, garlic and seasonings , made a spicy tangy sauce.
    Happy to help any time to a fellow chef.lol
    Ask me anything happy to answer .
    Please take care.
    @thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
    Hello @cracker   Good morning to you. Sorry to hear that, please if I can make some suggestions.
    Buy a slow cooker no cooking involved.
    Add any meat you like buy diced, or Chicken legs, thighs drumstick.
    Add to a freezer bag with any spice mixes or herb mixes you like .
    Seal toss and add to the slow cooker.
    You can buy fresh veggies diced I do.
    Or use frozen defrost first. Use a kettle and in to a bowl add boiling water drain and add to slow cooker.
    Cover with either stock use boiling water in a jug or buy a jar sauce add some stock to that cover on low.
    For four to six hours and meal is done.
    My concern and care is your diet, going to be causing you a lot of health problems.
    No fruit and vegetables too much sugar can be harmful.
    Oat meal have a portion with fruit diced Apples or Pears with Milk and water stir in a yoghurt for extra calcium, I use those honey flavoured ones for a bit of sweetness top with Cinnamon.  You can buy frozen Berries good to have add those or some nuts. Use Walnuts buy diced or pieces.
    Use a microwave for your Porridge helps.
    Peanut Butter sandwich with sliced Apples delicious add some cheese. Use whole meal bread all the time.
    Cookies have trans fats in them causing problems as these raise obesity levels.
    Please ask me have lots of recipes no cooking nor much heat to use. Cheap, budget eats and healthy.
    Please take care.
    @htespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
    Not having one this week. I need time to make Christmas dessert and we also recently celebrated Thanksgiving on Thursday. So instead, we are eating ham and cheese pie and leftover cheesecake for pudding. 
  • exdvrexdvr Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    @thespiceman Well done for all the varied recipes you come up with.   More a late breakfast I'm settling down to a couple of cheese toasties while waiting for the final grand prix of the season to start.   Dinner around 6 will be chicken, mixed veg, and roast potatoes. 

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 705 Pioneering
    Toad in the hole today with veg and gravy 

edited December 2019
    Hello every one doing my Cannellini Bean veggie Soup for Evening meal usually have this for Lunch, then the rest evening.
    Just uses up Veggies in the fridge, not eating all the time meat is good for you .wellbeing, antibacterial.
    Soups a pick me up with some bread.
    I used veggies from freezer no chopping.
    Will put this on later .
    Easy and gives the Chef the night off Plonk in the middle of the table and every one helps themselves. No washing up.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
    janer1967 said:
    Toad in the hole today with veg and gravy 

Sounds delicious! 
    We are having a proper Sunday lunch this week after church. 
Sign in or join us to comment.