Looking for an electric wheelchair for my brother — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for an electric wheelchair for my brother

Options
Organum
Organum Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi
My name is Richard and I am looking for an electric wheelchair for my brother who is seriously ill and stuck in a flat.
Looking online there seems to be many options of what looks suitable for a wheelchair with climbing action on Amazon but all are from China. I have phoned around UK dealers and immediately they just say no whereas I would have thought this is a common requirement. 

What do you guys think? 

I would much prefer to deal with someone in the UK where I can see the unit before buying since these are expensive bits of kit.

Thanks

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Organum

My son is a full time wheelchair user. Initially I contacted the NHS for tips and recommendations. They could not help me so in desperation I looked at other options for acquiring a wheelchair for my son. Have you contacted the Disabled Living Foundation or not? I agree. 
    When I was researching wheelchairs online two years ago I read their factsheets on wheelchairs and I found them very helpful. What about the One Big Day event held by the well known Motability Scheme? I went last year and came back with lots of information. I took detailed notes whilst attending the event. I was even able to talk to people and get responses and recommendations. 
    Additionally I think you can test out wheelchairs at a mobility aid shop. Good luck! 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Organum! Has your brother ever had an NHS wheelchair assessment? This can be done by getting a GP referral.

Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• Organum
    Organum Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks both for useful pointers. My sister-in-law has hopefully looked into both but I will check. The problem is that he may not have much time left, hence my trying to help. 
    I found one UK supplier who will do demos and have passed on the information. When talking to the chair dealers they said that they did not do stair climbers.
    I will let you know how this works out.
    Thanks again. Richard
    https://www.stanleyhandling.co.uk/tolo-wheelchair-stair-climber/
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Please do let us know how you get on @Organum! I'm sorry to hear that me may not have much time left, this must be distressing for the family. I hope you are able to find something suitable soon. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.