Ehcp implementation in school — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ehcp implementation in school

GKBM
GKBM Community member Posts: 10 Listener
edited December 2019 in Education
I have 6 years old child who has learning difficulties. We got his EHCP approved in June19 an year follow up. He goes to regular school who has onboarded new Sen one to one staff for him for daily support as mentioned in EHCP. Its been only few months now with his new support when he was almost settled and school has changed the support staff. As I heard they moved Sen staff to some other child and they assigned some SMSA to my child to what I believe is not Sen trained. Further there had been so many delays in his Occupational therapy and speech language and no sessions have been conducted till date. After lot of push and follow ups, school has now put in spot commission. I am new to this whole thing but i want to ensure that my child is getting what he is entitled for. My child is not listening to new staff and there is no progress made. Infact changing support staff after every 2 months wherein child is expected to cope up with new ways and staff is totally not acceptable, that too with children having difficulties already. I want to know if SMSA staff is qualified enough to handle special needs and educating them. Thanks

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Hi @GKBM and a very warm welcome to the community! 

I'm sorry to hear your child is not getting appropriate support, and that the change is only disrupting their learning.

Was it ever explained why they now have a SMSA member of staff? I personally am unsure what their qualifications would be, but you are entitled to ask these questions.

An EHCP is a support document that must be followed, if you feel this isn't been done then please do speak to the SENCo at the school. 

I really hope they get the Occupational Therapy and speech/ language support soon.

I'm tagging @melaniethorley, our education advisor to see if she has any further suggestions.

Please do let us know how you get on and if there's anything else we can d to help!
    Scope

• GKBM
    Thanks Chloe for your response. I am indeed following up with Sanco at school. I just want to check if it's justified to make child requiring special needs to go through frequent changes with staff. The counter from school is that they are providing 1-1 as in plan but it's not helping since there is no outcome due to inconsistency in ways of teaching of each staff.
  • elle
    elle Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Try to get named support on your EHCP. 2 names maximum. Then this should be adhered to. Good Luck.
  • GKBM
    Thanks Elle, indeed a good suggestion. I wasn't aware that this can be done. I will push for it in next review. 
  • elle
    elle Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Yes. A lot of people dont realise that the EHCP should be as specific as possible and Local Authorities try to wriggle out of it. It should state the number of hours, specific support etc so that there is no way that a school can find ways to stop support or put it elsewhere. Please read the Children and Families act section 3 and the SEN code of practice. Both are legal documents.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thank you very much for this @elle and a warm welcome to the community!

Please do let us know how you get on @GKBM!
    Scope

• GKBM
    Sure, I am pleased to join this forum, I am sure a lot like me for whom ehcp is new stuff will be benefitted. Appreciate all your responses and suggestions.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @GKBM, how are you getting on?
    Scope

• GKBM
    Thanks Chloe, I am trying to plan meeting with Sanco, support staff and class teacher but it seems this also requires multiple follow ups so I will update on what's going on after I meet all. I will definitely need your advise.
  • GKBM
    Hi All, just to let you all know today I finally met my child's one to one staff with whom I was trying to meet since recent change has been done and she was introduced. I met her on my way back from school after picking kids. She was in the same bus and my child recognised her and she introduced me then. After our short discussion then, it was confirmed that she was with school from long working as SMSA (special meal assistant) and she was moved to support my child since she wanted to do same. The reason she quoted was that she has special child and she knows what has to be done. To be honest, I don't see any progress on my child after this change. Please see if you an advise that is school authorise to move anyone to Sen support especially when they are not even the teaching staff. She also suggested that I should move my child to special school since I was asking her to share her plan to what she needs to achieve in this term. She said it was for class teacher to provide, I am sure she has never worked on it before so even she wants, she can't deliver. Please advise what should I do.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @GKBM, this cannot have been an easy discussion to have, thank you for updating us.

I would advice having an EHCP review and making things more specific so your son is having the care he needs. If you are unhappy then you are able to do this.

It also could be helpful to look at the progress he has made while at school and how the support should allow him to achieve his potential.
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @GKBM. Going forward I would probably avoid discussing your daughter's EHCP or support with anyone involved in her care outside of school hours as it removes any paper trail and accountability. I don't know if it was the case here, but I know when my partner worked as SEN support they were told if they were approached outside of school to remain neutral and to refer any questions to the class teacher as they were not actually allowed to discuss plans outside of the school premises for everyone's safety.

I know you have concerns about this person's qualifications for the role, but from my personal experience some of the better SEN support staff and learning support assistants don't have much in the way of paper qualifications at all. Sometimes the best people for these roles are those with lived experience and a genuine interest in supporting children. That said, I think the advice she gave of you sending your daughter elsewhere isn't really her suggestion to make. You know your daughter best and so I'd advise if you do have concerns to please raise them with the school SENCO and your daughter's class teacher.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • GKBM
    Hi All, to let you know some developments in past few months and also to seek guidance ahead. I have raised the concerns about no progress made, support staff suggesting me special school, conflicting progress reported by school, speech & language,  OT delays etc.  with Senco at School in meeting (in person) in Dec 19 however I did not get any response from her till Jan 20. I followed up but no response so I had written to Head Teacher. After same the EHCP review was called in Feb 20. I have asked school if they can let me know the invitees of that meeting but no reply. After that I engaged with SENDIASS and took them a long. We had highlighted all that we know were gaps but school was not ready to accept them.Head teacher asked me do u have anything in black and white. Luckily I had and I showed them all. After that there was pause but she continued that I have assigned best support I have and that they are doing extended hours for support than my child is entitled for. When I asked them provision plan against ehcp, targets, review, work records of my child , they didn't had anything.  But head teacher clearly refuses to change support staff and do anything about it. she just said that you can come on friday if you want to see what your child has done and I had been to two such Friday meeting,  and what has shown to me is repeatedly same work he has been doing in July 19. I have connected with SEN case officer now but they said they will get back to me coming week. Do you have any suggestions please that can help me. Just to let you know, I have everything black and white since I had been  coordinating with school on mails so proving points is not problem.  please suggest ahead.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @GKBM, it must be so frustrating due to how reluctant they have been. Just wanted to see how the meeting went.
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.