Bullying — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bullying

Birdsnbees
Birdsnbees Community member Posts: 75 Pioneering
Hi scope people

Wondering why do we disabled get bullied so often? I see and hear about it from lots of people from healthcare professionals from other people strangers friends social care there are some wonderful people out there who are accepting kind and help it's a shame that the bad ones spoil it for the good ones.

I find misunderstanding and ignorance is a lot of it. Never thinking they might be in that situation or how they would cope

What are your thoughts scope friends?

Comments

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    We get bullied because we 
    1  cant DEFEND ourselves.
    2   Wr the easiest target to attack
    3  if we try to defend ourselves we get our bones damaged and wr in a lot of pain to start with or our limbs are in a condition that makes defending ourselves impossible.
    So we need the police & councils to lock up and fine the creeps that attack us
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for discussing this @Birdsnbees. A really important topic to highlight.
    Scope

• Han_
    Han_ Community member Posts: 151 Pioneering
    Hi @Birdsnbees and thank you for your post.

Bullying of disabled people is such a significant issue. I also agree that ignorance plays a part in bullying. Perhaps also perceiving disabled people as weak and "easy targets". 

I hope that your post will spark some interesting discussions.

Han
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    whenever possible...stand your ground or sit it, like I do in my wheelchair.

ask to see a senior person if the one dealing with you in rude or just not helpful.

we MUST  help ourselves.

I know it takes guts, but they will always win if we don't retaliate and we can always be as polite as possible whilst doing it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.