How much can I earn before my benefits are affected? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How much can I earn before my benefits are affected?

Stickman
Stickman Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
I know I can have upto £6000 in the bank and every £250 above will result in a pound being taken off my benefit.  But how much can I earn a week without it affecting my benefit, is it still £20 a week?  Or has it gone up?

Comments

• Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    Hi Stickman ...i think it would depend very much on what benefit you get ...but i,m sure one of the experts on this site will answer your post just shortly ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,343 Disability Gamechanger

What benefits are you claiming please? and is the benefit in your name or are you added onto a partners claim?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Stickman
    edited November 2019
    I'm claiming ESA and PIP.  The benefit is in my name.
  • poppy123456
    As you're claiming ESA then you can do permitted work but you must work less than 16 hours per week and earn no more than £131.50 per week. You must tell DWP you are working and you must fill out the PW1 form. If you earn more than that amount per week then you won't be entitled to any ESA for those weeks and your ESA will stop.

Do be aware that if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming ESA then you could be re-assessed early and it could go against you when the decision is made on the review.

See link for detail about permitted work. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Permitted-Work-Rules

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Stickman
    So upto £20 a week is ignored?  If I earned £10 - £15 a week, I understand that this is allowed and does not affect benefit and I don't need to tell the DWP?
  • poppy123456
    If you're doing any work at all then you need to tell ESA, It doesn't matter how little you earn, this is part of the rules and if you haven't told them then you do need to ring them and tell them you're working.

Please read the link i posted above, it tells you what you need to know about permitted work and explains what it is. You can earn up to £131.50 per week, which is ignored for ESA and housing benefit BUT you need to tell them you're working.
  • Stickman
    OK

I have a PW1 form downloaded onto my computer, I shall have another look at it. Some of the info on the form -

earnings or fees as a director
    maternity pay
    holiday pay
    bonus payments
    regular tips
    Statutory Adoption Pay (SAP)
    Statutory Maternity Pay
    (SMP) l Statutory Paternity Pay
    (SPP) l Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

Does not apply to me.

I have worked out that I earn 0.54 a week. Above all, it is a hobby really.  It may sound silly as the earnings are small.  Advice please. 

• poppy123456
    If none of those apply then there's nothing to tell them in that box. If you're self employed then it's complicated and i'm afraid i won't be able to advise you further because there's very little information online about self employed and permitted work.
  • Stickman
  • Stickman

I'm claiming ESA and PIP.  The benefit is in my name.  I would like some advice please. 

I am a hobbyist musician, but treat it as a job.  Back in 2007, I set up a record label.  Back then, the rules were that I could earn £20 a week without my benefit being affected - theraputic earnings.  Is this still allowed under ESA and PIP?

• poppy123456
    Hi,

I answered your question about this just a few days ago here on this thread. https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/65924/how-much-can-i-earn-before-my-benefits-are-affected#latest

The answer is still the same. Please have another thread of that thread.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.