Looking for clubs or social events for 11-year-old — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for clubs or social events for 11-year-old

Options
elise2001
elise2001 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Writing on behalf of my wee granddaughter Elise who has a genetic brain disorder called polimycragiro she has no speach incontinent swollening difficultes week muscle tone n epilepsy because she dosnt fit under any umbrella she has no clubs or social events that she can attend I know you are down south but was wondering if u knew off any clubs or places that could welcome her as apart from school she has non existent social life she will b 11 on the 23rd off Nov ?

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @elise2001 and welcome to the community.
    I am not sure that my usual replies would apply. Without being too specific can you give an indication where your grand daughter lives? City, town, nearest town. I would be happy to do some searching.

Not wanting to make any assumptions but is she in mainstream or special needs school? If in special needs school it may be worth talking to the school to see if they would be happy to facilitate regular meetings with parents. This could be a good starting point for arranging monthly outings and getting a local support group going. 

It is an easy way to improve her social life, as there are often other siblings and is not so restrictive on age or special interest. Also parents can often become isolated themselves, and also provides a good source of local information. As a group develops joint aims and ambitions can be identified and this is where a difference can be made. For example if the group decides that they do want to start their own club then there is funding available.

I am not saying it is plain sailing, but when there is nothing already in place it sometimes need a few people to get something going. Applying for funding is not difficult, you just need to know how to go about it.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @elise2001

There are lots of clubs and activities for children with disabilities. Have you heard of Disability Challengers (a play scheme for disabled children and teens) or not? Ask your local county council or support group for more information and personalised recommendations. What sort of things does she enjoy doing in her spare time?
    Does she love art? Sport? My son is on a waiting list for a play scheme near us and I am waiting to hear back from a social worker regarding clubs etc for him. Ask your social worker if you have one as well. The term social prescribing comes to mind here. She will have a valuable opportunity to meet other young people, learn useful new skills and have fun! What could be better? 
    https://councilfordisabledchildren.org.uk/transition-information-network/information-and-support/activities 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @elise2001. I hope your granddaughter had a lovely birthday? Have you had any luck finding any groups or social activities for her? 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.