Fit note — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fit note

Options
Oldboy1957
Oldboy1957 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi I've just had a phone call from my local job center  they have been ask to contact me regarding  payment of universal credit they wanted to know why my wife only ernd a small amout  last month I explained that my wife is on a zero hours contract if the work is is available then she will work any way they  have now asked for  a  fit note for my self has I'm in receipt of high rate pip and have been for nearly 3 years I now have to take a fit note to the job centre please is this correct  thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Hi,

If you're not working then yes this is correct, unless you're claiming the carers element for look after someone.  Otherwise you maybe sanctioned in the future because you will still need to look for work. Your PIP awarded doesn't automatically entitle you to limited capability for work.

Once you send in the fit note you'll be referred for a work capability assessment. See link. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Universal_Credit_Work_Capability_Assessment

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Oldboy1957 and welcome to the community. 
    Does your wife receive the carer element of Universal Credit? She can be entitled to this even if she works, as long as no one else is claiming Carer's Allowance or Carer Element for you. It would mean that when her hours fluctuate, it won't cause any problems.

Can I double check, do you currently get ESA or have you had a work capability assessment on Universal Credit? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Oldboy1957
    Options
    Hi  thank you for your input much appreciated just a couple of points I should have mentioned I'm 62 diagnosed with asbestos I have  impaired lung fuction and restricted perecardiaum I'm lucky some days if I can walk 30 metres without getting breathless I've had a return to work assessment and was asked what I was doing here do this make a difference ps my wife  is 63 and works to supplement our income. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Unfortunately, that still doesn't automatically entitle you to limited capability for work and a face to face assessment is most likely.

Please answer Adrian's question, does your wife receive the carers element in your UC monthly payment?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Oldboy1957
    Options
    Hi Sorry Adrian yes we receive the carers allowances in universal credit 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Oldboy1957, that's alright. I just want to ensure I'm giving you the best possible advice for your situation.

If your wife is definitely receiving the Carer Element of UC (it will be on your statement as Carer: £160.20) then they shouldn't be questioning when her wages or hours change as she doesn't have any work commitments.
    However, as you haven't had a work capability assessment on UC, if your wife's income drops below a certain amount in an assessment period, they can ask you to start looking for work. 

The best thing you can do is to start the WCA process. To do this, you need to hand a fit note in (and ensure your health condition is reported on your UC account). After 29 days of having a fit note, they should send you out a UC50 form and eventually assess your capability for work. 

I hope this helps you understand why they've asked you to hand in a fit note but if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.