UC and Carer element — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC and Carer element

Redeemed
Redeemed Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
Just a question and I probably already know the answer but is PIP the qualifying benefit with which to get the carer element of UC?
I lost my DLA and Carers yet my care needs remain the same, so can we claim the carer element or is it a case of hard luck?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Hi,

To claim the carers element of UC is the same criteria as claiming carers allowance. You must be claiming either mid/high rate care DLA or PIP daily living. Unfortunately, your carer will not be eligible for the carers element.

I see by your previous thread that you're appealing the PIP decision, my advice is for your partner to report that they are a carer for you on your UC journal and then in the future, if you're successfully awarded daily living then there shouldn't be any problems backdating the carers element.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Redeemed
    Redeemed Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Hi I figured as much. 
    Irnoically I received my mandatory reconsideration reply today, which was written before they recieved my supplimentary evidence and as expected it's still 'nil points'.
    Looks like being a tribunal then. Any advice on how to prepare for that one would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    That's not surprising because most MR decisions remain the same. Your next step is to fill out the SSCS1 form, making sure you send the MR decision letter with it otherwise HMCTS will refuse your appeal, you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request this.

This link should help you, scroll down to number 8 onwards. https://www.advicenow.org.uk/guides/how-win-pip-appeal

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Redeemed. I'm sorry your MR wasn't successful. 
    Do take a look at the links Poppy provided, there is some great advice there. Best of luck with the appeal and if you have any questions or we can help at all, please let us know. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.