looking for clarification — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

looking for clarification

AndyLambert
AndyLambert Community member Posts: 8 Connected
Hi all, hoping some one here maybe able to advise to what could be a simple /obvious issue, just I am new to this and trying to get some clarification/peace of mind. I am in receipt of ESA, initially had a universal credit claim request, but was advised early on no UC would be paid, due to my wife earning sufficient funds. since then I have continued to communicate via Universal credit and recently had to attend a DWP assessment for work, the outcome being they accepted I am unable to work,. Logged into Universal credit this week to find they have now closed their file. So just looking for clarification whether this effects my ESA payment or not. I tried phoning Jobcentre plus, been on hold for over two hours in three attempts, went in to my local job centre for clarification (as near my counselling) and they were unable to advise, just to keep trying the phone or return back in the future and the system may have updated. Again apologies if i seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill and/or I am missing something obvious, but any help/knowledge would be huge to me and my anxieties!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

When you claim UC if your award is reduced to zero for that month then your claim will close.

Your New style ESA claim is Contributions based and when claiming UC along side this your ESA is deducted £1 for £1 from any UC entitlement. As your UC claim has closed this won't affect your ESA claim.

You say that DWP have accepted you're unable to work, may i ask which group you've been placed into, is it WRAG (LCW) or Support Group (LCWRA) if it's Support Group then you would be receiving £111.65 per week from the 14 week of your claim and your ESA will continue to be paid for as long as you remain in that group.

If it's WRAG (LCW) then you will remain on £73.10 per week and you will only continue to be paid for 365 days, once this is reached you'll receive NI credits only.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • AndyLambert
    AndyLambert Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Hi thanks for that, has helped me no end. :) Did not know about LCW/LCWRA, although they may have mentioned it meeting, once anxious my mind races so may  not have taken it in. But U am on the lower figure, so guess that confirms grouping
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Best of luck @AndyLambert and I'm so glad @poppy123456 was able to provide some great advice here. :)
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
     But U am on the lower figure, so guess that confirms grouping
    Yes, this means you are in the WRAG which means your money will stop after 365 days because of the time limit. This time limit starts from when you first claimed ESA and DWP will write to you nearer the date.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.