Will he be entitled to any benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will he be entitled to any benefits?

popinjay
popinjay Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi I am new to this my Husband is just starting the process of becoming retired from the NHS due to disability he is only 60 and if he is retired on health grounds he will not be able to work will he be entitled to claim any benefits 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @popinjay

Good Afternoon & Welcome???

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

I also had to take Early Retirement from the NHS due on Health Grounds few years ago now.

I am very happy in helping you with things????

I was in my early 50’s at the time.

@steve51
  • popinjay
    Hi Steve
    Thank you
    My husband is having his 2nd appointment this week to discuss his feedback from OH face 2 face. Who have agreed he cannot go back to his substasive role, He is taking his union with him and his GP is fully supporting him in this but may need advice once NHS, HR start to make demands or put a spanner in the works.
    Seems 30+ years counts for nothing I think. Seems you can't say early retirement once you're 60
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @popinjay,

Welcome to the Online Community!

Has your husband made a claim for Personal Independence Payment? This is not means tested and he could get that in addition to any pension he may be entitled to.
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • popinjay
    Thank you
    Joanne he has rung up today to request a claim form

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,043 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

When he receives the PIP form he needs to make sure that he fills it out with as much information as possible about how his conditions affect him. Adding 2-3 real life examples of what happened the last time he attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to him.

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

Make sure you send relevant evidence with the form because they rarely contact anyone for this. A face to face assessment is most likely because most people have them.

A claim could take several months depending on backlog in your area. If you need extra time to return the form then you can ring DWP to request an extra 14 days.

New style ESA could be possible but this will depend on his work situation, does he receive SSP or and type of sick pay from work?

New style ESA is based on his NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years, but if he's claiming SSP then he will need to wait for this to end before he can receive any ESA. He will need a fit note from his GP and his SSP1 form from his employer. It pays £73.10 per week and he can claim this regardless of Income/savings or capitol. Any worse pension will not be counted unless his pension is more than £85 per week, if it is then the ESA will be reduced by 50p for every £1 over £85.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.