Refused pip based on only one disability not others? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Refused pip based on only one disability not others?

Options
Tommyowens85
Tommyowens85 Community member Posts: 28 Connected
edited December 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi guys and sorry for not posting in a while, I’ve been stuck in the hole of pip battle. 
Just wondered if anyone has had a refusal based all on one condition when you have listed a several? 
My pip and mandatory reconsideration was purely based on one disability without the others taken into account, this was confirmed by a phone call with a decision maker when I called and said I didn’t understand their reasons. It wasn’t the decision maker who dealt with mine tho. 
All the mr reasons were also based on this one disability even though my questionnaire, mr letter and medical evidence was very clear about the other issues. 
Refused because of a disability with my arm. Copd and a lung function of 50% with detailed description and supporting letters from medical team not mentioned and mental health with supporting evidence from mental health team stating self harm, extremely high gad7 phq9 wsas scores and intensive treatment and medicaltion not even mentioned. 
I feel this is utterly wrong and have appealed, posted today. Surely this shouldn’t happen and will they be criticised for doing so. Really sorry for ranting and appreciate all help 
Surely they can’t do that and have to consider all evidence. Even when I told them I feel questionnaire and mr letter wasn’t considered I was told “well people could put anything on them!” I said what’s the point in getting me to fill it out then! 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Tommyowens85, sorry to hear you have had to appeal the decision, I appreciate how frustrating this must be. Do you have any further evidence which you could send to support your claim?
    Here is some information about the MR process that you may find helpful.
    I wish you the best of luck with the MR and please do let us know how you get on.
    Scope

• Tommyowens85
    Options
    Hi mike , yes I have put in very detailed real world examples on how it actually affects me in respect to all descriptors, firstly in questionnaire, again in mr request and more in appeal request all different examples so essentially each discriptor will have 6 or more examples. 
    Had a Speromitry yesterday, results show a further decline. 54% in June, 39% now. 
    Also looking at gov.uk website there is guide for these so called health professionals on how how to assess. There is a part specifically called useful evidence relating to asthma and copd.  Chloe I have sent them everything on that list. When sending further evidence I have pointed this out as according to that, the evidence I sent is meant to be exactly what they want. 
    They are reviewing/secondary reconsideration due to substantial further evidence but I am not holding my breath. Appeal has already been sent. With from my copd practitioner saying I cannot walk further than 50mts, fatigue severity etc etc etc. And will also send new spiromitry test results to them as well. 
    A reduction of 15% in 5months is very quick. Slightly worrying to be fair and well above average decline (although everyone is different) 
    mental health is very difficult to really get evidence specifically regarding descriptors but have done my best. 
    Will keep you all updated
    thanks 

• Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Tommyowens85,

There is some useful information about appealing as well on the Scope site.
    Do you have a copy of your original form? It might be worth going through that, if you have not already done so, and as outlined above you need to link your various conditions to the descriptors.

If you have any specific questions about the appeal process you can contact our Helpline on 0808 800 3333. The calls are free and the advisers should be able to help you.
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • Tommyowens85
    Options
    Thanks Joanne I have read all information, yes I have kept copies of everything and have checked back through when completing mr and appeal and added more detail and explanations/examples where I can. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.