Is road tax paid at 50% refundable? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is road tax paid at 50% refundable?

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
I paid for a year of road tax at the 50% rate when I was on the standard rate of mobility for PIP. I am now on the enhanced rate so can qualify for free road tax. I’m just wondering if I will get a refund for the remaining months of tax I have which I paid at 50% - or do you only get a refund if you paid full rate tax?

Thanks.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello when you tax your car next you take your usual papers plus your PIP excemption form and any refund owing will be refunded by DVLA in the form of a check. Remember your car will be taxed as a disabled vehicle and is for your use only. I have changed my car and not gone tax free as only £20 per year and my daughters can use it freely as not taxed as disabled. 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the reply wilko. Yes the vehicle is only driven by me or by someone else when I am present in the car. The tax for my old car is just over £150 a year (and that’s at half price!) so it will be quite a help to get some of that back.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for your support here @wilko. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.