Non dependend deductions from housing benefit and council tax — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Non dependend deductions from housing benefit and council tax

faydhar
faydhar Community member Posts: 63 Connected
Good  evening
 I am currently in receipt of  support group esa and high  mobility  and care on pip due to severe rhumetiod  arthritis  . My 18 year old daughter has left  sixth  for  and now has a full time aprentiship  job that  she earns  over her minimum  wage  . The council have contacted  me asking for ny non dependant wage slips  so they can reduce  my entitled to housing  benefit  . But i was under  the impression  i am examped from any reductions  as i receive  higher care  pip .can anyone  advise? 

Thank you 

Fay

Comments

• faydhar
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,029 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You are correct, non dependent deductions do not apply to you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • faydhar
     Thank  you @poppy123456 for your  reply . Do i still send the wage slips as idont see why they would  need them if i am exempt  

• poppy123456
    If a claimant doesn't provide income details from non dependents they take the maximum amount from your benefits BUT as non dependent deductions do not apply to you then there shouldn't be any need to supply them with this information because it's irrelevant.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Thars correct. !
    But if I was you I'd remind them if your situation cos they could get you in a mess of debt.
    Phone them
  • poppy123456
    Just to add, if you were claiming the severe disability premium in with your ESA then you'll need to ring DWP to report the changes because you will no longer be entitled to claim this, unless your daughter also claims a qualify benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care.

Also if you were claiming the single person discount for your council tax then you will also lose this.
  • faydhar
    I was receiving  sdp but that  stopped when  she left education .i called the council today and explained  that  i recive high rate  care  on pip and inwas told i still need to send in her pay  slips which makes no sense at all
  • faydhar
    I was also told if i do not  send them  in my housing  benefit  will stop  and i will owe  all benefit  received  from when she left sixth  form 

• poppy123456
    You shouldn't need to send anything because deductions don't apply. Having said that, it's not going to harm anything if you do send them in.
  • faydhar
    I asked if  i needed to  send proof of my pip  but she just said well  we havent asked for  that have we i then asked if  they have it down that i receive  the high care rate for pip and she just  said  what has that got to  do with  my housing benefit  i think i may ring  up again and see  if i can speak to someone different 
  • poppy123456
    Enhanced daily living PIP makes no difference, all you need is a daily living PIP award to be exempt from non dependent deductions and they will know you already claim this because DWP share information with them.
  • faydhar
    Ok thank you the woman on the phone  seemd to have no idea  what she  was talking  about and seemed to not realise  i recived  pip ill ring tomorow  and see what they  say .Thank  you for your  advice
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @faydhar,

how frustrating! People working in Council's Housing Benefit teams should certainly be aware that there are no non-dependent deductions in your circumstances.

Let us know how you get on when you ring them today  :)
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @faydhar, I'm glad other members have been able to advice you about this. I hope you can get through to PIP today and please do let us know if there's anything else we can do. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.