What do I do now? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What do I do now?

robcathy
robcathy Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi. I have fibromyalgia and had decompression surgery for Chiari Malformation. I am 63, obviously not old enough for State Pension. I don’t work, because some days I have trouble even getting out of bed. My Husband is 72 and retired. We live off of his Pension and he does volunteer driving. I have applied for pip, but didn’t get it. I had savings, but have had to spend it on top up, for my mothers care home. I have almost run out of savings, now. What should I do now!  Am sorting my Mum out, now. But what should I do for myself. I have sleep apnoea & wear a mask at night, I suffer depression. I don’t get state pension for another 3 years. Cathy

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @robcathy - Welcome to the community, Cathy. I have a genetic disorder, the hypermobile type of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (which affects my joints) together with Chiari 1 Malformation. When did you have your decompression surgery? I hope it helped, but sorry to read about your fibromyalgia.
    As far as PIP goes, as you probably know, it's about any difficulties you may face with activities of daily living, & also mobility. When did you receive your decision letter, & did you go for a Mandatory Reconsideration afterwards? I'm asking because people here can advise about the PIP process & may be able to help.
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @robcathy and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I am sorry to hear of PIP's decision and your health struggles.  As @chiarieds has advised, there are some members of our Community who are quite experienced with regards to PIP or members of the team and they will be able to advise you as to your best options.  I hope you get things sorted out and I hope you enjoy your time with us.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Could you try for PIP again and specify how your condtions cause you to need help from someone else, eg bathing, dressing, going out.?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.