If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

Hi, my name is AmyRainbow76Fnd!

Looking for some advice.
My FND was really chronic around 2 yrs ago and I gave my husband power of attorney. Just found out he's got into serious debt, stopped paying utilities and credit cards over a year ago, and hid all the post from me.
I'm so angry with him but he says he's been suffering from depression and wasn't able to tell anyone!
He's been caught speeding and used me as a possible alternative driver, but as he hid the post I have 'failure to disclose' hanging over me.
What do I do? I love him but how could he do this?
I'm still so reliant on him but don't know if I can trust him again 


  • janer1967janer1967 Posts: 160Member Pioneering
    I would take back the power of attorney he has totally betrayed your trust and implicating you in speeding could be unlawful. One of the most vital aspects of a relationship is trust and this is broken it will be hard to build this back 
  • AmyRainbow76FndAmyRainbow76Fnd Posts: 2Member Listener
    Thanks for the advice but I don't know where to start and how much it would cost even. I've only been out of hospital a few days, and am bed bound, so I'm really lost atm. 😩😢😩

  • janer1967janer1967 Posts: 160Member Pioneering
    Do you have any family you can contact or contact adult social services maybe you can do this online or citizens advice. I'm sure some of the champions on here will be able to give you more advice on who you can get support from. Not many people reply at the weekend but I'm sure someone will help 
  • Tammyjane33Tammyjane33 Posts: 371Member, Community champion Pioneering
    Hi @AmyRainbow76Fnd hi welcome to scopes online community. I'm Tammy one of the volunteer community champions here at scope Im Here to support people the best i can. 
  • chiariedschiarieds Posts: 723Member Pioneering
    Hi @AmyRainbow76Fnd - Welcome to the community. ''tho very sorry to read about your problems. I'll see if there's someone about who may be able to help. @poppy123456 are you able to advise here, please?
  • thespicemanthespiceman Posts: 5,355Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 1
    Hello @AmyRainbow76Fnd   Pleased to meet you.
    Sorry to hear this has happened.  My thoughts are with you right now. I am here to be supportive, offer compassion and I can imagine your feeling  many times emotional, distressed.
    I am here to give some reassurance. You have done the right thing contacted our community.
    I am sure we can advise and help you as a community. 
    I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and help support members.
    I am going to give you some links organisations to look at consider.
    Also I am going to add some more for your husband.
    He needs to talk to some one, depression a mental health issues is serious if not treated.
    The incidents, the explanations are a common trait of any one going through a trauma. Needs specialist care and attention. Please can I stress this. He needs also to speak to his GP.
    Unfortunately many men fail to do this.
    Please can I add my concern and care is you first.
    Please contact these organisations.
    The first one is a charity dedicated to your condition, information, advice and support. Very useful.
    The other one is finding a Solicitor to ask for legal advice and some guidance.
    Your husband needs to talk to a mental health charities. 

    Please if I can help with any thing further. Please ask happy to be helping, listening and always ready to answer anything you may wish to ask.
    If I can not let one of the SCOPE team will contact them on your behalf.
    Please take care, warm and safe.
    Pleasure to help you and meet you.

  • chiariedschiarieds Posts: 723Member Pioneering
    @poppy123456 - Please would you give advice here, thank you
  • chiariedschiarieds Posts: 723Member Pioneering
    Hi @AmyRainbow76Fnd - I'm sorry there seems to be a problem contacting @poppy123456 so I've had a look online for information. This is on the Gov.Uk's website: https://www.gov.uk/report-concern-about-attorney-deputy-guardian
    - Also from the same website where there are links to both changing & ending a lasting power of attorney : https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney
    I hope this helps as regards the power of attorney issue.
    Not knowing who the car is registered to, & how long ago the speeding offence occurred, means I'm unsure if the following link will be helpful. Sending it just in case: https://www.gov.uk/speeding-penalties

  • poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 15,070Community champion Disability Gamechanger

    Sorry about not replying, i do try to keep up but sometimes forget the tags i'm tagged in and answer a different post, then i forget.

    I'm afraid this isn't my area of knowledge and wouldn't like to advise on anything regarding this. My advice would be to speak to an advice agency near you.

    For the debt issues then speaking to step change is my advice. https://www.stepchange.org/

  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Posts: 4,497Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @AmyRainbow76. It must've been awful to come out of hospital and be confronted with all of that.
    Have you been in touch with CAB?
    Senior Online Community Officer
Sign in or join us to comment.