If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Concerned about the Coronavirus?

We've put together some helpful information and advice about Covid-19 on our website.

You can also read about: improving your wellbeing, getting food and essentials and claiming benefits during this time.

Advice about getting tested for autism?

sophcardy97sophcardy97 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited December 2019 in Autism and Aspergers
Hi.

I am wondering if anyone can give me advice about getting tested for autism. I am 22 years old I live in Northern Ireland and I have been waiting for over a year to get tested I am wondering what way to go about it I am getting fustrared waiting. Please help. Thank you Sophie

Replies

• thespicemanthespiceman Community champion Posts: 6,194 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @sophcardy97   Pleased to meet you.
    Sorry to hear this. Thank you for joining and sharing.
    I am one of the team of community champions . We guide, advise and help, support members of our community.
    Please can I suggest speaking to the following organisation.
    The National Autistic Society
    Helpline 020 7833 2299
    Please ask them for advice and guidance.
    Email [email protected]
    Please if I can help further please get in touch, happy to be supportive.
    Please take care.
    @thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 5,573 Scope community team
    Hi @sophcardy97,
    Unfortunately as with a lot of services at the moment, there's a very long wait for autism assessment. TheSpiceman has recommended NAS, but have you had a look at their specific services for NI? - https://www.autism.org.uk/services/ni.aspx
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
  • DAVID55DAVID55 Member Posts: 13 Listener
    Hi Sophie, it seems hard waiting once your mind is made up about getting an assessment. 
    You are 22 so you have put up with it this long so a few more months not too long to wait. 
    Try and find out where your Doctor has referred you to for assessment and contact them directly as they might be able to advise you how much longer the assessment appointment is likely to be. 
    Hope that helps a bit. 
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,598 Scope community team
    A warm welcome to the community @sophcardy97, how are you doing?

Just wanted to check in to see how you were doing and if there was anything we can do to help. :)
    Community Partner

Scope
Sign in or join us to comment.