Moving home — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving home

sha71ron
sha71ron Community member Posts: 5 Listener

Hi All, we moved into this house June 2018, as we received a section 21 as the owners (private rent) wanted house back for a family member. It was a 4bed bungalow and suited me perfectly. There are 6 of us my husband and I, 2 daughters aged 22, 12 and 2 sons aged 23, 11. I am disabled I have arthritis and c.o.p. ild lung disease. The council moved us into a 4bed house, I use the dining room as a bed and got a disability facility grant to convert the downstairs toilet into a wet room. There is a wet room upstairs but they refused to put a stairlift in. I struggle getting in and of the property I dread going out because there’s 3 big steps into the property and I can’t get out the back at all. As there 2 big steps out the back door another big step in the middle of the yard and another big step out the back gate. Before we moved here I had freedom I had a mobility scooter and could come and go as I pleased. My scooter is now broken because of the big step out the back yard. My husband used to get it out of the yard and bring it round the front for me. But because he had to drop it down the big step as the scooter is heavy it finally broke. When I moved here I didn’t like asking him to keep getting my scooter out as it affected his back and I dreaded the front steps. They won’t put a ramp in because I’m not in wheelchair. I hate it here I feel trapped and it’s really affecting my mental health I feel depressed all the time, just staring at 4 walls all day. We are on the property pool plus on band B but still don’t seem to be getting anywhere. Also I’ve stopped taking one of my medications water tablets because to get to the bathroom, I have to walk down the hall through the kitchen through the utility room just to get to the bathroom. Some people won’t think it’s far but when you struggle to walk it feels miles away. I can’t go private it again because I can’t afford it, and with the last time getting evicted after being told it was long term it puts you off. I was referred to Wirral social prescribing team but didn’t seem to get anywhere.  Any advice of were to turn next would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sha71ron, I'm so sorry to hear about this. It sounds like it's really stressful!

I'd recommend contacting Shelter as they might be able to advice. Here is multiple ways in which you can contact them.

Also, have you ever had an occupational therapist involved with your care? I'd recommend getting a referral if not as they might be able to offer equipment that could really help.

Please do keep us updated and let us know if there is anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

• sha71ron
    sha71ron Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Yes they done my wet room for me. They said I’m not entitled to ramps as I’m not in a wheel chair.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi might the answer be to get a wheelchair and then ask for ramps? Just a thought.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    woodbine said:
    Hi might the answer be to get a wheelchair and then ask for ramps? Just a thought.

Completely agree with this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, just been reading a book called The Care Act 2014. It tells you all your rights when needing care or disabled. There are some amazing things in there which the council HAS to do for us.

I quoted the book and they looked aghast...oh God! someone who knows!

Fight for your rights chuck! I just did and got a decent care package!
    Pollyxxx
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sha71ron, how are things going? :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.