Christmas Bonus? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Christmas Bonus?

Cloud
Cloud Community member Posts: 25 Connected
Hi. I wondered if anyone can tell me what the criteria for the Christmas bonus is?
I know people on PIP who get it every year.
Yet I have been on Pip for 3 years and I was previously onDLA for 10 years before being on pip. Yet I have never had a Christmas bonus. I often wondered why this is.

Comments

• Sue_Atkinson_1209
    Sue_Atkinson_1209 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I was on DLA previously for quite a while and was getting the Christmas Bonus of £10 but I've only just won the battle for PIP and haven't had a Christmas on it yet, I don't know if you only qualified before a certain time and they stopped doing it. It might be worth a phone call to find out.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    HI,

PIP qualifies you for the Christmas bonus of £10. See link for criteria. https://www.gov.uk/christmas-bonus/eligibility It's been in payment since around 1972.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cloud
    Thank you for your replies. It seems that I should qualify.
    I first had dla in 2006 and still now get PIP. I've  always wanted to query why I never get it as I've missed 13 years of it altogether (£130) but I'm worried to ring in case it triggers anything else... I'm nervous of ringing to ask/challenge why. 
  • poppy123456
    I'm not sure why you would think ringing DWP to query something will trigger anything else, it won't.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello I am claiming ESA support group and PIP, I have received my Christmas bonus on my last ESA payment, I did wonder why the £10 increase but realised it was the bonus when other people where enquiring about on the fourm. It's not going to make much difference, buy a few packs of Christmas cards, buy the postage stamps or mince pies. Have a wonderful and peaceful Christmas remembering what we are celebrating, The birth of Jesus Christ. 
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    It showed up as a separate payment DWP XB £10 on my bank statement a few days ago.  Every little helps as the saying goes.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• poppy123456
    It can either show as an extra payment separately or be added onto an existing benefit.
  • Cloud
    Thank you all for your replies.
    I tried the helpline yesterday but they don't answer the phone. I hung on for 1 hour 20 minutes. By then I had to give up as the music was giving me such a headache. (I have a neurological degenerative condition)
    I tried again today for just over an hour again. They just don't answer the phones.
    Is there an address I could write to and ask for an application to apply for it?
    Although I also get esa support group, it has never been paid in with that either.
    If I can write to the correct address I will ask for an application form and back pay.
  • poppy123456
    There's no application form to apply for this because it should automatically be paid. Try ringing as soon as they open, i usually find that's the best time to ring.
  • Cloud
    Thank you Poppy.
     Maybe I will try again then on Monday. Perhaps 3rd time lucky.
    using telephones for long time aggravates my already head condition. That's why I thought best to write.

The number I was continually holding on for was the pip helpline as there was no dwp general helpline.....only a 'new claims' phone number.
    Am I ringing the right place/department then? As there was no telephone number for general enquirers.
    many thanks for your help?
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Personally, ringing DWP annoys most people because that music is enough to aggravate anyone :D

The PIP enquiry phone number is 0800 121 4433

For ESA its 0800 169 0310 Providing it's not New style ESA you're claiming. You can also ring ESA to ask about this bonus.

Are you sure it hasn't be included on top of your ESA? Sometimes it's included in an existing benefit and other times it's paid as a separate payment.

• Cloud
    Thank you Poppy for the numbers.
    No, it's definitely not been added to esa.
    ive never had it ever. In all of the 13 years of pip & previous dla

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.