Any advice on any additional money we can try and claim ? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any advice on any additional money we can try and claim ?

michellebyeuk
michellebyeuk Community member Posts: 5 Listener
My son is autistic and just turned 20 and has just been granted Lcwra but I read we only get it 14 weeks after we handed in his fit note. I believe it’s £336 per month. My question is this - is he entitled to any additional money that I can apply for:
currently he gets enhanced elements of PIP, universal standard rate and now we have to wait a few months for his first LCWRA payment. As I used to get almost £700 a month for him with the 2 additional elements of child support as part of my universal credit. I have lost that so with the £251 UC rate and the future LCWRA payment of £366 I am still going to struggle to make ends meet. I don’t work as I am a full time carer for my son and get £66 a week carers allowance and only £96 UC a month after they have taken the carers allowance out.

Any advice on any additional money we can try and claim ?

Many thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

For the LCWRA element there's a 3 month waiting period, this means that the extra money isn't paid until the 4th assessment period from when he sent in his first fit note. When he'll receive it will depend on the dates of his assessment period and when he sent his first fit note because it's 3 FULL assessment periods.

Unfortunately, your son will not be entitled to any more money because he's already claiming PIP and the LCWRA element of UC once that starts. There's no other benefits available for him to claim.

I note that you're UC payment seems rather low, you need to check that you're claiming the carers element of UC for yourself because it doesn't seem like you're receiving this element. If you're not then you'll need to report those changes on your UC journal and ask for that element to be added, this is an extra £160.20 per month for yourself.

May i also ask if you're renting your home or do you own it and have a mortgage?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Hello @michellebyeuk welcome to the community.
  • michellebyeuk
    Hi Poppy, 

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes I do have a mortgage and entitled to SMI but don’t claim it as I don’t want a charge on my property. With my universal credit I get the standard allowance and the carers element but because I claim carers they take that off automatically and I have water and council tax arrears so that’s why I only get £96 a month as they take almost £100 to pay this off.
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.

Then it seems like you're both claiming everything you should be claiming. I realise that benefits are much lower when our children are no longer dependents, especially when you are claiming extra because they are claiming PIP/DLA but sadly that's the rules and they affect everyone at some point.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • michellebyeuk
    Yes it’s tough being a single parent of a disabled son and trying to make ends meet. I am now looking at returning to work as we can’t survive financially and will need to pay someone to care for my son.
  • poppy123456
    Have you had a needs assessment for your son? If not then you can refer him for this, there maybe some help out the for you both. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

Do be aware also if you do return to work because you're claiming Carer allowance then the earnings limit for this is £123 per week after deductions. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/
    If you'll be earning more than that you will need to ring them to cancel the claim, otherwise you'll have an overpayment.

You can claim the carers element of UC without having to claim carers allowance and your money will remain the same in total. However, if you don't have a work allowance with UC then your earnings will reduce your UC amount by 63p for every £1 you earn.

• michellebyeuk
    Thanks Poppy this is very helpful and I will look into it right away 
  • poppy123456
    You're very welcome.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @michellebyeuk! I'm really glad others have been able to support you here. If there is anything else we can do to help then please let us know. :)
    Scope

• michellebyeuk
    Thank you so much x
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem at all :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.