ESA Review — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Review

markart
markart Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum so please forgive me if I have posted this post in the wrong area.

I have been on ESA for 4 years this month (December). Yesterday I received a letter from DWP asking me to complete a new assessment form. Non of my circumstances have changed. I have Spina Bifida. I have a lot of complications that is associated with Spina Bifida. I have a tethered spinal cord. A MRI shows that my spinal cord is torn in two places. I have twisted feet, reduced feelings in my legs and cronic pain. I cannot stand for long periods of time. I cannot walk further than 200 yards without being in pain. I have problems with controlling my bladder and bowels on a daily basis. I have nerve damage and muscle wastage in my legs. I need help to bathe and get dressed.

I use mobility aids to get around the house and a mobility scooter to go outdoors.

My condition will not improve. My Neurosurgeon has said that no surgery or hospital treatment can help.

With all this in mind, why am I being reassessed? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope.

Unfortunately, you are not the only one with conditions that will never improve, myself included but we still have to be re-assessed and this can be anytime from 3 months. The only ones that are exempt from future assessments are those that are placed into the severe conditions group and the criteria for this is here https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news/2017/october/guidance-work-capability-assessment-reassessment-published

If you are placed into this group it will tell you once you receive the decision letter after this assessment. In the meantime you will need to fill out that form and return it no later than the date stated on the letter. Failure to return the form within the time and you could be found fit for work for failing to return. There's no extensions for returning this form.

When filling it out you need to make sure you put as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you and send evidence to support your claim. Expect another face to face assessment because most people have them.

Hope this helps, good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • markart
    Thank you Poppy.

I have no new evidence to submit. My circumstances have not changed. I initially sent a letter from my Neurosurgeon following my MRI which explains my condition. Spina Bifida as you may know is a birth defect. It will never get better. I was placed in the support group for ESA December 2015.

As my circumstances have not changed the only information and evidence I can submit is the same as my application in December 2015.
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. I'd advise you to send what you sent the last time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • markart
    I wonder how successful would my reassessment be if I completed every box with the following comment.

”I have been receiving ESA since December 2015 and nothing has changed”.
  • poppy123456
    I seriously wouldn't advise you to ever answer a question like that for any work capability assessment form because this really isn't going to do yourself any favours at all. I would take my advice in my first reply.
  • markart
    Much appreciated thank you.

I know you’re right. I’m just anxious and stressed about the situation. It does not help with mental well being having to be reassessed.

I had very little sleep last night.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome,

I know exactly how you're feeling right now because i'm always exactly the same when i receive one of those forms. For me i always find the work capability assessment worse than PIP.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.