Unexpected ESA letter, i am visually impaired — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unexpected ESA letter, i am visually impaired

DD66
DD66 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I am visually impaired and have been getting SDA (now called EESA) for well over 5 years now, DWP have sent a letter out saying I could be entitled to ESA, I don't trust these forms as I am worried they may take the EESA away from me, or because I have a husband who works and has just taken his pension they might ask me to pay it all back over the 5 years I've had it. I have heard this type of situation from someone else, I work within the 16 hour permitted rules and I have a confirmation letter to say I am  entitled to work without my EESA being effected, the form is not VI friendly and just to say I use my money to help me with equipment and resources as I am a piano teacher. please can anyone help. thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope. I'm assuming the letter and form you've received is called the ESA3 form because you were claiming Incapacity benefit before you claimed ESA.

All those that transferred from Incapacity benefit were placed onto Contributions based ESA and some were assessed for the income related top up, which means it was a DWP error and they are contacting everyone that transferred across.

Whether you're entitled to any backdated money will totally depend on your circumstances during the dates stated in the letter. It's not a letter to take away your ESA.

If your husband has always worked since you claimed ESA then it's very unlikely that you will be owed any backdated money.

You do not have to fill out the form but if you think you're entitled to backdated money then you should fill it in and return it. If you don't think you're entitled to any backdated money then you don't need to fill out the form.

Your ESA will continue as normal. Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • DD66
    DD66 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you for your reply, why do they have to ask questions about my husbands wages and I think they want to know about bank accounts and statements, I'm just concerned they might think my husband earns too much and make me pay it all back, we are honest working people trying to live a normal life. thank you
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    The reason why they are asking that on the form that you received is because Income related top is based on household income and your husband working/savings/capital and pensions from work all count against the income related top up.

They don't count against Contributions based benefits, which is what you're currently claiming. If your husband has always worked since you claimed ESA then you won't be entitled to the income related top up and you won't need to fill out and return the form.

Your current ESA award and amount you receive will not be affected and it will continue as normal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.