Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Concerned about the Coronavirus?

We've put together some helpful information and advice about Covid-19 on our website.

You can also read about: improving your wellbeing, getting food and essentials and claiming benefits during this time.

Craft ideas

Rifi7Rifi7 Member Posts: 168 Pioneering
I’m looking for a hobby to occupy me but when I’ve looked online for kits, their pretty basic. I’m looking for something to challenge me. Any ideas?

Replies

• April2018momApril2018mom Member - under moderation Posts: 2,848 Disability Gamechanger
    What about patchwork? 
  • deb74deb74 Member Posts: 536 Pioneering
    Have you thought about cross stitch. It will keep your mind occupied. I used to do cross stitch all the time. I do lots of craft work now (when my body will allow me to) and have turned my hobby into a business.
  • GeoarkGeoark Community champion Posts: 1,248 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rifi7 what type of kits are you looking at?

Basic and starter kits can be a good introduction to a new hobby, by nature their simplicity means you will learn quickly if it is right for you before a large outlay. For some hobbies if you have no or little experience they can be a good introduction to the basic skills and as you develop you can introduce new tools and learn how to do more complicated things.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,727 Scope community team
    Hi @Rifi7, I think this is a really interesting topic! Since not being able to go out as much as I liked, I started to learn to crochet. This was all done with online tutorials and was something I picked up pretty quickly! Yet the complexity of it completely depends on what you would like to make. I am currently doing a very simple stitch for a blanket which means I can easily do it while watching TV or when my brain has turned to mush! But I like to do small projects that are more complicated which gives me something to properly focus on. :)
    Community Partner
    Scope
  • RainbowJoRainbowJo Member Posts: 79 Courageous
    knitting. 
    crochet. 
    diamond painting. 
    beading
    painting
    colouring

Try to be a rainbow in someone else’s cloud. 
    ~Maya Angelou~

• GeoarkGeoark Community champion Posts: 1,248 Disability Gamechanger
    A hobby I enjoyed for many years was embroidery. It is one of  those where taking the time to learn the basic stitches and techniques can open up a whole range of projects, my favourite projects were creating unique clothes for my daughter from items bought of the shelf. Something which can be done after learning just a few basic stitches. A simple guide to embroidery can be found at https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/stitches-every-embroiderer-should-know-4122123

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Sign in or join us to comment.