If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

Getting an assisted living place?

Disability_DivaDisability_Diva Posts: 2Member Listener
I’m struggling to get an assisted living place in my local area. I’m also struggling to find activity groups in my local area. Would anyone be able to help me with the issues I’m having? Xx


  • steve51steve51 Posts: 6,050Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Disability_Diva 

    Good Afternoon & Welcome ⛄️⛄️⛄️

    I am one off the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

    Have you got a local “CAB” office????

    Can you please let me know what area do you live & I can find your local “Scope”

    Please please let me know if you have any further problems????

  • chiariedschiarieds Posts: 1,233Member Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    Hi @Disability_Diva - Welcome to the community. As far as assisted living goes, depending where you live, it can be difficult to find. Perhaps this 'may' help. See: http://www.housingcare.org/elderly-uk-assisted-living-extra-care-housing.aspx
    For your other query, I'd suggest looking at your local council's website, or give them a ring. Alternatively try searching here: https://www.ableize.com/
    Sorry, I see you already had an answer....I was handicapped by my kitten trying to add to my post!!

  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Posts: 6,556Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @Disability_Diva and a warm welcome to the community! If you ask your GP about social prescribing, they might be able to suggest groups that are in your local area. :)
    Online Community Officer
  • TopkittenTopkitten Posts: 1,033Member Pioneering
    Assisted Living and disability living in general are handled / controlled by the local Council through Community Support.

    As for local disability groups there is no, as far as I am aware, local or centralized way of finding this out. The CAB may be able to help but they are very local. For example they know of only 2 groups in my area.... one is for CP and the other for Brain Damage specific conditions. I was lucky to contact someone through Mental Health who knew of a more generalized group in another town around 20 miles from where I live but they are a small local charity run organisation, not a large group. If it is a specific and well known condition (like MS or CP) then there are much larger organisations you can contact who will have a much better idea what sort of support for your specific disability there is in your area.

    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Posts: 6,556Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @Disability_Diva, how are things at the moment? Please do let us know if we can do anything else to help. :)
    Online Community Officer
  • Disability_DivaDisability_Diva Posts: 2Member Listener
    Thank you all so much food your advice. It’s pretty difficult to sort anything like this at this time of the year. Also, I’ve been waiting for a social worker to be allocated for6 months and this has to be done before anything else can be done
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Posts: 6,556Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @Disability_Diva

    Sorry to hear you have been waiting so long for this. Have you been able to ring up and chase things? I appreciate that this time of year can be hard. Please do let us know if we can do anything else to help.
    Online Community Officer
  • newbornnewborn Posts: 352Member Pioneering
    Experts will know more, but possibly a line of research  might be for an Independent Advocate.  For some situations,  the council or a charity or even the N.H.S. may have a system. 
Sign in or join us to comment.