Is the allowed amount after or before tax and do they take into account pension contributions? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is the allowed amount after or before tax and do they take into account pension contributions?

nickiwalker
nickiwalker Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I’m hoping someone can give me a direct answer here as Iv been told many different things ! 
I’m starting a new job and will be earning more than the amount allowed to receive esa. 
My employer is willing to drop my hours (which are only 15!) to keep me with in my allowed earnings however by the time Iv payed into my nhs pension and payed tax I’m well below the amount allowed ! 
Is the allowed amount after or before tax and do they take into account pension contributions as Iv been told differently on a few occasions! 
Feeling very confused and frustrated as I’m trying to better myself and work within my boundaries within a hospice while still receiving cancer treatment! However I’m feeling like I’m being penalised for doing so ! 
HELP !! 
Thanks 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @nickiwalker   Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry to hear what you have been through. hope and wish you the best.

I am one of the team of community champions.

We have a member of our team who has expertise and knowledge. Regarding your query.

@poppy123456 have tagged the lady. Hopefully be able to answer your question.

Please if there is anything you need to know please ask.

We are a supportive, compassionate community have empathy.

Please take care and wish you well.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope. Permitted work earnings is less than £131.50 per week after deductions of tax and NI, whether they allow for pension deductions, i really don't know i'm afraid. I even looked at the DMG for the rules with this but couldn't find anything about pension deductions.

You do also need to make sure it's LESS than 16 hours per week and have permission before starting work. You'll need to fill out the PW1 form also.

Do be aware though that if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming ESA then they could re-assess you early and it may go against you when the decision's made on the re-assessment.

Good luck with the treatment and with the work too!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nickiwalker

Good Mourning ☃️⛄️

I can see that you have been given my good friend:

@thespiceman & also @poppy123456 who are both very very good & with all of your current situation/problems.

Please please come back to me if you need any further help/support.

@steve51

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @nickiwalker! I have nothing further to add, but I hope everything works out. Please do let us know if you have any further questions. :)
    Scope

• nickiwalker
    nickiwalker Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks very much for you help 
    Nicki x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.