If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

Council Housing


I applied for council housing 22/23 days ago, I never lived on my own before. I don't know what to expect or how long it will take for the letter to arrive. Any Advice on living on my own as a disabled person.



  • TopkittenTopkitten Posts: 1,033Member Pioneering
    @Cybertren, to qualify for disabled council properties you will need to have an Occupational Therapy report to prove what your needs are. If you don't already have one then this can take 2-3 months (in my area) to get done. Without such a report you will be assessed based on whether you need a property, what your immediate situation is and whether there are any extraneous reasons for helping you. It's difficult to comment too far without more detail.

    I got into my current property around 5 years ago or so because I had an OT report that stated my privately rented property was unsuitable mostly due to stairs. I was graded as a requirement level "C" and not allowed to bid on some suitable properties. I was fortunate to have a contact who contacted them on my behalf and got my requirement raised to "B" and added in the missing property types. I think it took a couple of months to get it right and get confirmation applied to my online bidding account. It then took around 6 months and 4 or 5 viewings before I was offered something appropriate.

    With a general shortage of council property it is very difficult to get things right and done in a reasonable amount of time and if a persons situation isn't particularly bad it can be very hard to even get on the list. Moving out from mum and dad (for example) is not a good reason and unlikely to even get the chance to bid. Bad health and unsuitability is the more obvious way forward but things like abuse are treated fairly reasonably. Being homeless, especially if a person's own fault, is almost impossible to get help with.

    If a person gets rated as "C" I have been informed is likely to take a couple of years for a proper council property especially if single and no children are involved but this is only hearsay and will vary from area to area. Almost certainly though, without special health needs, an interim situation may be considered such as B&B or some very small bed-sit type situations.

    Personally, if I were you, I would expect bad treatment, lots of irate phone calls to them and very slow moving people trying to get things right (in their terms not yours).

    Getting rated as requirement "A" is almost impossible. The only case I have heard of was to get a person out of a hospital bed and into Community Care.

    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • thespicemanthespiceman Posts: 5,775Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    Hello @Cybertren   Pleased to meet you.

    I am one of the team of community champions.

    Please if I can make some relevant points.

    First see if you can get any support with any housing issues you have.

    Do you have a support worker or a social worker very useful dealing with problems.

    Health conditions you have.   Ask the council to help or if have certain conditions, illness will supply relevant organisations.

    If you contact me, also mental health an example has floating support advised here . Offer a lot of help, guidance so on.

    Councils have for members of our community have a look on their website. Aspects of assistance, help and guidance.

    Second there is an alternatives look at other options.

    I use Housing Associations often supported homes with assisted living.

    This is mine .


    Look at other aspects of being on your own.

    Money, finance and being using a lot of common sense.

    Use diaries planner be a contact any friends or support you need.

    Plan organise make sure you have enough money to live on. Pay bills, make sure using direct debits banking on line easier to look at everything.

    On line Utility Companies use them, easier to contact on line chat.

    Plan food, shopping look on line for AMAZON others things for home.  On line shopping groceries good ideas.

    Speak to companies on line for anything electrical ,household.

    Might need some one to install cookers, washing machines, fridge.  Carpets I use laminate flooring.

    Various websites councils might help you here.

    One final point make sure that you need to inform Doctors or any one who is supporting you.

    I hope every thing works out any thing else can help with please ask.

    Please take care.


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 16,266Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Cybertren said:

    I applied for council housing 22/23 days ago, I never lived on my own before. I don't know what to expect or how long it will take for the letter to arrive. Any Advice on living on my own as a disabled person.



    Do you mean you applied to go onto a list for housing? If so then you could be in for a rather long wait i'm afraid. It's not as easy as that to get a social housing property, even if you're disabled and it can be even more difficult if you're a single person. Waiting lists for these types of properties are very often many years long. If you don't live in the area in which you want to move to then you need to have a local connection to that area too.

  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Posts: 6,556Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @Cybertren and a very warm welcome to the community! How are things going?
    Online Community Officer
  • CybertrenCybertren Posts: 5Member Listener
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Posts: 6,556Administrator Scope community team
    Glad to hear it @Cybertren! If there is anything else we can do then please do let us know. :)
    Online Community Officer
  • CybertrenCybertren Posts: 5Member Listener
    @Topkitten hi, they had me fill out a form for their housing occupation therapist to review. 
Sign in or join us to comment.