Struggling with a lack of routine — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Struggling with a lack of routine

Yorkieson
Yorkieson Community member Posts: 8 Connected
I'm 41 struggled all my life finally had to give up work in 2009ish and i hate it. Reg disabled now. 
 My problem is i can't get into a routine because i never know when it how bad its going to hit daily. I miss work i mis life and its tough. 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Yorkieson

Good Afternoon & Welcome ☃️☃️

I am one off the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Yes I had to take early retirement due to my ongoing problems.

Please please let me know if you need any help getting around??

@steve51

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Yorkieson - Welcome to the community. Many here will identify with what you say; myself included.
    I think perhaps you shouldn't be too hard on yourself; you almost have to say to pot with routine, & do things when you can, & try to pace yourself, so you don't overdo it, then crash. It's easier said than done, I know, but you just need to listen to your body, & take pride in any achievements, even when it's a small thing you've done.
    Are you able to get out at all? Just wondering if there were some groups you might join, or activities that might interest you.
  • Yorkieson
    steve51 said:
    Hi @Yorkieson

Good Afternoon & Welcome ☃️☃️

I am one off the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Yes I had to take early retirement due to my ongoing problems.

Please please let me know if you need any help getting around??

@steve51

Thank you yes please i have no idea easy navigation thank you. 
  • Yorkieson
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @Yorkieson - Welcome to the community. Many here will identify with what you say; myself included.
    I think perhaps you shouldn't be too hard on yourself; you almost have to say to pot with routine, & do things when you can, & try to pace yourself, so you don't overdo it, then crash. It's easier said than done, I know, but you just need to listen to your body, & take pride in any achievements, even when it's a small thing you've done.
    Are you able to get out at all? Just wondering if there were some groups you might join, or activities that might interest you.
    Thank you. Yes it is harder than thought but i would love to join a group but I'm so fluctuating with my symptoms it feels impossible.  
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Yorkieson. Welcome to the community. I hope we'll be able to support you! :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Yorkieson

No Probs I will get back to you shortly if that is Okay???

@steve51

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Yorkieson and a warm welcome to the community, how are you doing today? :)
    Scope

• Yorkieson
    I'm doing okay atm thank you. Had a good 3 days so that's great but exhausted now. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Yorkieson, It's good to hear from you again. :)
    Are you managing to find your way about this forum? Near the top of this page on the right, there are 2 links you could try, 'All groups' & 'Recent discussions.' You could have a look around using either, & just join in any discussions of interest too.
    Great to read you've had a good few days, but sorry you're exhausted now.
    Please also chat here any time!
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Yorkieson   Please may I suggest for any routines do a plan, strategies to help to cope.

Use diary page a day note down the days your good the days your bad.

Do one room at a time, if using that room clean it . Bathroom Kitchen use wipes scented ones easy to store clean and throw away.

Use time saver kitchen equipment Slow Cooker great one, make it simple.

Fridge freezer fill with predicted cut veggies, fruit, meat and fish easy to do. Make a shopping list use time saver on line shopping lot easier.

Delivery service anything need food, home all easy to deal with.

You can buy things cooked. Chicken diced, cooked .  No stress.

Have good days to yourself create a comfort box fill it with anything to relax you.  Music, poems, bible or memories, photos.

Volunteering look at that, join charities or associations or societies who you can identify with. Your disability or conditions .

Many of them on line need volunteers.

I worked with mental health charities, because not only worked in kitchens and had support, if any problems mentally the charity helps me.

Gardening nothing hard many resource, charities have gardens grow their own food for the kitchen.

Tasks are repetitive do your favourite sandwich or snack, do the task.  Eat the sandwich.

On here offer time use anything I have to help those like me.

Become a Community Champion always needed.

community@scope.org.uk for any further information.

I use my knowledge expertise to help those like you, be kind honest open approach.

Get training, safe guarding and lots of support.

Be a pleasure to work with you and support you we all of us Community Champions do this.

Another suggestion is lifestyle courses often useful.

https://www.futurelearn.com

Has loads of courses on line.

Wish you well anything I can help with please ask.

Wealth of knowledge, expertise happy to share and care.

Pleasure to meet you.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    I struggle with that, too.

Disability changed my life and changed me. We need routines and rituals.  All mine were taken from me.

We must find new routines. They may be as simple as making food at the same time every day, reading at  a certain hour, doing what tasks you can do.

Making a kind of schedule can help ground us.

Much of my routines Venter about my carers coming every day. Showering in the morning while I still can is very important to me.

I find it helpful to make a list of things I still can do, trying to find a way to keep in contact with other people.

Coming to this forum is a routine, and a valuable one.

Welcomre. We will help in any wzy, and I am sure you will help us, too.

All the best. You are not alone.
  • Yorkieson
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @Yorkieson, It's good to hear from you again. :)
    Are you managing to find your way about this forum? Near the top of this page on the right, there are 2 links you could try, 'All groups' & 'Recent discussions.' You could have a look around using either, & just join in any discussions of interest too.
    Great to read you've had a good few days, but sorry you're exhausted now.
    Please also chat here any time!
    Thank you so much I'm just resting atm ad going away we'd I'm going to bed best but I'll put on a smile for ther family. It's a fight for  me ever day i can't accept ther things i no longer can do i miss so much
  • Yorkieson
    Hello @Yorkieson   Please may I suggest for any routines do a plan, strategies to help to cope.

Use diary page a day note down the days your good the days your bad.

Do one room at a time, if using that room clean it . Bathroom Kitchen use wipes scented ones easy to store clean and throw away.

Use time saver kitchen equipment Slow Cooker great one, make it simple.

Fridge freezer fill with predicted cut veggies, fruit, meat and fish easy to do. Make a shopping list use time saver on line shopping lot easier.

Delivery service anything need food, home all easy to deal with.

You can buy things cooked. Chicken diced, cooked .  No stress.

Have good days to yourself create a comfort box fill it with anything to relax you.  Music, poems, bible or memories, photos.

Volunteering look at that, join charities or associations or societies who you can identify with. Your disability or conditions .

Many of them on line need volunteers.

I worked with mental health charities, because not only worked in kitchens and had support, if any problems mentally the charity helps me.

Gardening nothing hard many resource, charities have gardens grow their own food for the kitchen.

Tasks are repetitive do your favourite sandwich or snack, do the task.  Eat the sandwich.

On here offer time use anything I have to help those like me.

Become a Community Champion always needed.

community@scope.org.uk for any further information.

I use my knowledge expertise to help those like you, be kind honest open approach.

Get training, safe guarding and lots of support.

Be a pleasure to work with you and support you we all of us Community Champions do this.

Another suggestion is lifestyle courses often useful.

https://www.futurelearn.com

Has loads of courses on line.

Wish you well anything I can help with please ask.

Wealth of knowledge, expertise happy to share and care.

Pleasure to meet you.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Wow so much to take in thank you very much i will look into all of these i hope i can message you. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Yorkieson   Please reply to me here anytime you wish to just tag my username.

Private Messages the second icon on your box use when get 25 posts.

Pleasure to meet you.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.