Bagpipes at Hogmanay — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bagpipes at Hogmanay

Options
Bettahm
Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
In my experience, people either love them or hate them. I love them!  
Anybody else with a strong feeling, either way?

Happy Hogmanay to everybody, and may 2020 be everything you want it to be x

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I like to hear bagpipes played at a wedding. My niece got married in a church within castle grounds and we were piped from church to castle. Hogmanay is very much the right time to hear bagpipes x
  • Bettahm
    Options
    @pollyanna1052
    I love them anytime of year, but guess Hogmanay is the time they're most associated with.
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I can put up with the pipes for a few minutes ....but in our small Scottish village ( not so small now with hundreds of new houses built in fields surrounding us)...there was always someone practising their pipes,  ( there was an award winning pipe band only a few hundred yards from us ....Wallacestone pipe band) .....I prefer the uillean pipes or the Stirling pipes ( played by bellows under one arm and a bag under the other ) I can knock a tune out the pipes ( a lot less noisy than bagpipes ) these days I have not got enough puff to play bagpipes .??
  • Bettahm
    Options
    @Seanchai
    Many centuries ago I used to work for Boosey and Hawkes Musical Instruments and they used to buy in bagpipes and practice chanters from a company in Glasgow. But I've never heard of uillean pipes. Just googled them, Irish pipes. And you can play them. I'll have to see if I can find them on YouTube. Love the bagpipes though, must be the Scottish blood in me. Can understand that a learner could sound like cats yowling though!
  • Bettahm
    Options
    @Seanchai
    Uillean pipes. Count me in as a fan. Callum Stewart on YouTube, also found a bagpipes/uillean pipes duet. Brilliant!
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    Options
    I must watch that Fran ?
  • Bettahm
    Options
    @Seanchai
    Yes must admit I've become an overnight fan of the uilleann pipes. Listened to quite a lot now, and sure I know that lovely haunting sound. Just never realised what made it! 

I've always thought the fiddle can sound kind of like bagpipes/uillean pipes. Maybe that's just me.
  • Bettahm
    Options
    @Thebluebadger
    Sounds lovely. You know how to bring it in, north of the border.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.