Does any one know if I am able to claim any other benefits other than pip if my partner is working — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does any one know if I am able to claim any other benefits other than pip if my partner is working

Options
ozzy19721968
ozzy19721968 Community member Posts: 29 Connected
Hi everyone I have been told I have to give up work due to my disability. My partner works full time and I get pip at the enhanced rate for both am I able to claim other benefits other than pip if my partner still works full time 

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @ozzy19721968
    It depends on lots of different factors. New Style ESA might be an option if you've contributed enough NI over the last few years. It's not income-related so you can be entitled regardless of what your partner earns. You can read about the eligibility criteria for NS ESA here: https://www.gov.uk/how-to-claim-new-style-esa

If you're not eligible for that, your only option would Universal Credit which is an income-related benefit. So your partner's wages would reduce the amount you would receive. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Question answered on another thread with this reply.

HI,

May i ask who advised you to stop working? It's not as simple as that. If you're eligible for SSP from your employer then you would need to claim this with a fit note from your GP for 28 weeks before anything else. See link. https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay

If you're claiming tax credits then this will continue as normal. If you're not claiming tax credits, then Universal Credit maybe possible while you're claiming SSP BUT as it's a means tested benefit then claiming it will depend on your circumstances and you will need to claim as a couple with your partner. Your partners earnings and your SSP will be counted as income. Using a benefits calculator will help you know what you maybe entitled to, if anything.

If you're not entitled to UC then once your SSP ends then you maybe able to claim New style ESA but this is based on your NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years from working. If you've paid enough then you'll be able to claim this. Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ozzy19721968
    ozzy19721968 Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Options
    Hi poppy I have been for dexa scan and been told that bones in my spine and hip are weak and a fall could fracture my spine or hip I have 6 months company sick pay but from what I have seen them do they let you go sick for 8nweeks then go down the road of paying you off that's what they have been doing to other staff members .I have trouble walking and standing due to other medical conditions i only applied for pip as i was advised to but I havent got a clue how  the benefits system works as it has been over ten yrs since I last claimed anything like job seekers .I would rather work if I could my gp wants me to stop working and has offered to sign me off as unfit to work said I would rather keep going for as long as I can but I do struggle every day just getting out of bed most days is so painful never mind getting down stairs is a nightmare 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Unless you're self employed your employer must legally pay you SSP for 28 weeks and not 8 weeks. See link.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/rights-at-work/sick-pay/check-if-youre-entitled-to-sick-pay/ you will of course need to speak to your GP regarding the fit note if you're not able to work.

If your employer refuses to pay you SSP for those 28 weeks then there are ways around this, see link here. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/rights-at-work/pay/problems-getting-paid/

Or you could speak to your employer about reasonable adjustments in the work place, they maybe able to decrease your hours so that you can continue to work. See link. https://www.gov.uk/reasonable-adjustments-for-disabled-workers

Claiming PIP doesn't automatically entitle you to claim any other benefits, it depends on your circumstances.For the New style ESA you can start a claim 3 months before the SSP is due to end but you won't receive any payments until SSP ends. When the time comes you'll need your SSP1 form from your employer and the fit note from your GP.

If you've paid enough NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years then New style ESA is £73.10 per week payable for 52 weeks only, unless you're placed into the support group and then it's paid for as long as you remain in that group.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.