Looking for advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for advice

Niki03
Niki03 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I’m 34 and I’ve recently become a wheelchair user and am living in my mums living room as I can’t go upstairs, which also means I have no access to a toilet or shower.  I have carers to help me but I can’t get into the kitchen with my wheel chair Due to the layout of the house. 
I also have to rely on people getting me out of the house as i need ramps out of the front door. 
The OT has seen me and said that my mums house needs major adaption to accommodate me or they can look at moving me somewhere else.  I’m torn between staying with my mum as she support me but if I have somewhere that’s adapted to me I will be more independent.
Any advice would be appreciated 
thank you 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Niki03 - Welcome to the community. Whilst I appreciate your dilemma, I'm unsure I can give any advice as it's going to come down to your personal choice. You could try listing the pros & cons of staying or moving out & see if that helps. Think about how would your Mum feel having her house adapted, & how long would that take? Is there wheelchair friendly accomodation where you'd like to live? Having your Mum's support, or adapting to living on your own, etc. Perhaps others may have some thoughts on this.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Niki03

Good Afternoon it’s great to meet you today.

I had a Stroke in 1998 at the age of 32.

As my “Brain AVM” had become very very troublesome over the following 20+ years so has its damage.

Initially the OT/Council came out & fitted rails in & around my house.

I needed a stairlift as my only toilet/bathroom was upstairs.

The “OT” said “Yes” & the “Council” said “No” to “Expensive”

I also had to ask them to come out again.

The OT said that I needed a lift through my ceiling into my bedroom.

But again I was told “NO” as it was too “Expensive”

I need to use a wheelchair in & around my house.

A bungalow would be best but my current house is in & around my family and there jobs.

We are within the main “shopping routines” as well.

So a bungalow is a nonstarter.

Please please let me know how you feel???

@steve51
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Niki03. How are you getting on? Have you spoken with your mum about about the different options? 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.