Universal Credit and backdating — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal Credit and backdating

Options
rachey7285
rachey7285 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited January 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
I was wondering if anyone could help me clarify something please

i got poorly around February time, I am claiming UC and as I am a kinship foster carer (my niece) under 5 I didn’t have to go to a lot of the job centre interviews (looking forward work) 
I did not realise I had to hand in sick notes and most of my work focused interviews were via phone calls once every 6 months or so
 so September just gone my work coach asked why I hadn’t been handing in sick notes and I was being hospitalised etc anyways I handed in a sick note on the 26th September BUT he had back dated it to the 1st March. I no you have to do a 3 month assessment period before you receive anything extra on your universal credit .. I got awarded (through my journal yesterday) lwrca but my question is .. will it be back dated from 1st March (sick note note) or from June (3 months after the 1st March) or 3 months after the date I handed it into the jobcentre (26th September) 

many thanks 

also - would it be classed as the new style ESA? And isit £336 a month

many thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,049 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Options
    HI and welcome.

This is a very good question and despite my knowledge on the benefit system i'm unsure of the answer to that question. As it may state on your journal the date it was handed in, it may not count from 1st March.

I'm going to tag a member of our admin team who will hopefully advise you further tomorrow morning.

@Adrian_Scope any help here please would be very much appreciated. Thank you advance :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @rachey7285 and a warm welcome to the community.

Do you mind if I ask a few questions to help me answer your query? When you became unfit for work back in February, did you report this via your online account at the time? 
    Do you have any evidence they knew you were unfit for work?

(Thanks for the tag @poppy123456!)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • rachey7285
    Options
    Hey, I have screenshot this for you

• rachey7285
    Options
    Hi,
    Please bare with me! 

Ok, so I got awarded lwrca yesterday which is great, my first sick note was handed in on 26th September but doctor back dated it to the 1st March, I no you have to wait 3 months assessment period and it goes in on the 4th month - there saying I have been awarded from the 26th September which makes me think what was the point of handing in a back dated sick note if there not going to read/consider it which means I won’t get my first payment till 21st feb and no backdated payment. 
    I have since spoken to UC and my case manager and also her team leader can’t understand why it wasn’t backdated to the original date of the sick note so I am currently awaiting a response as she has emailed the secession maker asking for clarification.. what’s your thoughts on This? 

In the meantime I have asked if I have been awarded it for my current illness or as a whole - when I started claiming UC last year I declared I had mental health illnesses but apparently I put it doesn’t affect me looking for work, I don’t no why I put this as at the time I was being put on higher medication and was going through a bad patch of mental health I no myself and I no I go through stages of thinking ‘ I don’t need help or medication just get a grip ‘ and I constantly argue with myself and think I’ve been though worse and you can do this and then I come crashing down to reality .. 
    which is I DO need help cbt counselling panic attacks meds calming meds and antidepressants 
    My question is though for this half is .. do you think it would be possible to speak to my doctor and ask them to write a letter to say that me saying no back year when I first went onto UC was a mistake and in there opinion I should have been receiving sick notes and claimed as not fit for work. 

Many thanks x
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @rachey7285

Unfortunately I don't believe a doctor letter would help in this regard. Universal Credit and the decision makers can only base their decisions off of legislation. As your condition wasn't reported until 19th September (when you updated to say your condition affects your ability to work), that is the earliest it can be backdated to.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency for how the rules are applied, but it's our understanding from the guidance that the wait period begins when you make them aware you're unfit for work and provide evidence of this, not the date on the fit note.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,049 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have to agree with @Adrian_Scope here a letter from your GP isn't going to help you.

Your waiting period will start from when you reported that health condition in September, whether there's any backdated money owed will depend when your assessment period is because there's a full 3 month waiting period. LCWRA element is then paid on the 4th assessment period because UC is paid in arrears.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.