If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?


Please email [email protected]

Opting to move

JurphJurph Posts: 321Member Pioneering
Hello! I have no idea how any if this works so I'm hoping for a little guidance.

I am disabled (standard care, enhanced mobility PIP, ESA support group) and live with my parents. They will receive their state pensions in 2021. They do not claim benefits.

We live in a social housing owned 3 bedroom property. We love it but it's next to a river. We were out for a week in 2000 and We spent 7 months in temporary accommodation in 2013 when we flooded and we came very close to flooding again the weekend before Christmas in 2019. We just can't cope with it anymore. It's too stressful. I was a nervous wreck all over Christmas.

Is it possible to move out of choice? How do we do that? Can I stay with my parents?

Any advice welcome.

Replies

  • newbornnewborn Posts: 352Member Pioneering
    Others will tell you the expert answers. Offhand, I would say go shelter and cab and any other source, but expect  them to say yes your tenancy entitlement is for life, yes you can stay with  parents when you move, but no, it won't be easy.
    Don't take it the wrong way,  but your disability is an advantage.  You are ahead of others   who  may also say they  don't  like the flooding  risk.   Your enhanced mobility assessment is an  official acceptance you can't  escape as safely as  those average  people. 

    Your council landlord has responsibility to make efforts to find more suitable alternative offers. However they may not give a luxury of choice, and may not feel  obliged to provide the surplus bedroom.

     Instead,  the direct  council exchange method may give better results.
    You can offer three beds in a nice area . Someone else will probably be willing to do a swap, especially if they want that extra room.  They  might  be willing to gamble that flooding either won't happen,  or, for them, the risk would be worth  it. 
    The council should be eager to rubber syamp your application to swap, if they are troubled at the prospect of some headlines about a disabled  tenant being swept away in a flood, despite requests for safer housing!
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Posts: 5,048Administrator Scope community team
    I'm glad it didn't flood over Christmas @Jurph, but imagine it must have been very stressful waiting to see and being on edge. I agree with @newborn. If you contact your housing association or local council and explain the reasons it is unsuitable they may be able to accommodate transferring you to another property. From experience you'd have more luck if they were looking to down-size to a 2 bed as many councils are crying out for 3 bed places and often offer incentives to downsize. 

    There's also the option of an exchange with other people in a housing association or council property. Again it's often easier if you're looking to downsize but not always a problem. If you get in touch with your housing association they'll be able to point you in the right direction.
    Senior Online Community Officer
    Scope
  • JurphJurph Posts: 321Member Pioneering
    Thank you both.

    I'll get in touch and see what they say.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Posts: 5,048Administrator Scope community team
    I hope they're able to help @Jurph! :)
    Senior Online Community Officer
    Scope
  • JurphJurph Posts: 321Member Pioneering
    A little update.

    They finally called back to say we need to do a mutual exchange.

    I mentioned that we'd struggle to find someone that wants a property that floods. Their view is that we get enough warning to leave in a flood so shouldn't be a problem!

    They won't put us on a priority list because the adaptations I need aren't 'severe' but also say the person we swap with must be disabled because our property is adapted.

    Pretty useless to be honest but I did manage to get them to provide a housing officer to speak to. We're waiting on them to make an appointment now.

    We had another flood alert this morning. The 5th in 8 weeks.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Posts: 6,556Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @Jurph, thank you for updating us. I imagine it's frustrating when you just want it sorted! I hope your housing officer can keep you in the loop and make sure you don't have to wait long.

    Sorry to hear about the flood alert, this cannot be easy. I hope you're okay.
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
  • JurphJurph Posts: 321Member Pioneering
    Thanks @Chloe_Scope

    They've made an appointment with us for mid February
Sign in or join us to comment.