Universal Credit Group Action — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal Credit Group Action

androgynous
androgynous Community member Posts: 72 Pioneering
edited January 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
First of all, to clarify, I do not work for Leigh Day.

If you have been affected or know a service user, care for, have a member of your family, friend or anyone you know 'naturally' migrated to Universal Credit from 'Legacy Benefits' before the 16th January 2019, please have a good look through the links below. 'Naturally' migrating was a change of circumstances such as moving home into a local authority area which was an Universal Credit area, whilst still receiving Legacy Benefits. Significantly, those claimants with a need to claim Housing Benefit and therefore UC. Those claimants had previously claimed a benefit with an additional award of the severe disability premium.
The SDP Gateway came into force on 16 January 2019.

Following recent legal challenges to Universal Credit, Leigh Day are bringing compensation claims for people who have migrated to Universal Credit, prior to 16th January 2019, and have lost their severe disability premium. Also, the
 Enhanced Disability Premium (otherwise known as the ‘Disability Income Guarantee’) is not covered by the Department’s plans.

Note - If you have received a backdated payment then you will be eligible to join the claim for further compensation.

It's estimated 13,000 severely disabled claimants were affected.

Contact details are provided in the links below.

5. Who can bring a claim?

We would like to hear from anyone who made a claim for Universal Credit, before 16th January 2019, and had previously claimed a benefit with an additional award of severe disability premium. If you claimed the following ‘legacy’ benefits you may have also been in receipt of severe disability premium:

• Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance [‘JSA’]
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance [‘ESA’]

6. How do I know if I was receiving severe disability premium?

A legacy benefit award letter will indicate this on the page showing the breakdown of your benefit entitlement. If the letter states that you receive:

• Extra money because you are severely disabled’ then you were receiving severe disability premium.
  • For 2018/19 this was set at a rate of £64.30 per week for single people and £128.60 for couples
  • For 2019/20 this was set at a rate of £65.85 per week for single people and £131.70 for couples

https://www.leighday.co.uk/News/2019/May-2019/Fight-for-compensation-launched-for-people-with-di 

https://www.leighday.co.uk/Employment-discrimination/Current-cases/Universal-Credit-group-action

https://www.leighday.co.uk/Employment-discrimination/Current-cases/Universal-Credit-group-action/Universal-Credit-group-action-FAQs

The more claimants there are, the stronger the claim will be, so if you know of anyone who has been impacted by the loss of the Severe Disability Premium, please do get in touch with Leigh Day.

Good hunting!

androgynous

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Thanks for sharing this @androgynous. I've moved it over to our Universal Credit section of the community where it'll be more relevant and hopefully reach the target group. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • androgynous
    androgynous Community member Posts: 72 Pioneering
    edited January 2020
    Thanks for sharing this @androgynous. I've moved it over to our Universal Credit section of the community where it'll be more relevant and hopefully reach the target group. 
    Thanks Adrian.

I think i forgot to mention the SDP in the title! 

I've also been in touch with my solicitor and the Universal Credit rent shortfall is something they will definitely pass over to their human rights team. 

Unfortunately, these things take time and alot of it. My first case is only now with my Barrister and about ready to finally start court proceedings.

In the meantime, I'm wrestling with what i can of my DHP form until i can get some support.

It makes me wonder if it's worth it for one weeks rent?

But in the longer term, legal action is worth it for the good of thousands of Universal Credit claimants?

Another year, another battle.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.