Autism and Aspergers
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

My son has ASD and is very high functioning, I worry what his future will look like

Satsuma01Satsuma01 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 8 in Autism and Aspergers
My Son is Asd (Aspergers) he is not statmented as he is very high functioning, but he has terrible anxiety often resulting him being sick ,he is 15, I can't find anyone to help him to chat about it and I worry what his future will look like 

Replies

• chiariedschiarieds Community champion Posts: 2,669 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Satsuma01 - Welcome to the community & thank you for joining & saying a little about your son. I have found some information which I hope may be helpful. Please see: https://youngminds.org.uk/find-help/for-parents/parents-guide-to-support-a-z/parents-guide-to-support-anxiety/   It might also be worthwhile having a look around the site as well.
    Others may have different resources for you.
    Please have a look around this forum, & join in discussions should you wish, as well as chatting here.

• Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,153 Scope community team
    Hi @Satsuma01. Does your son get any additional support at school? My daughter isn't statemented either and doesn't have an official diagnosis but the school have made some adjustments which help ease some of her anxieties. They also have helped link her with a counsellor and put in some other support for her. 
    Are you in contact with his school's SENCO at all?
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 9,035 Scope community team
    Hi @Satsuma01 and a warm welcome to the community, how are you getting on at the moment? :)
    Community Partner
    Scope
  • MerclondonMerclondon Member Posts: 14 Listener
    Hi my son is 17 and the same , I spend so much of my time worrying about his future especially when I’m no longer around , like u I don’t know who can help 
  • AilsAils Community champion Posts: 2,268 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Satsuma01 and welcome to the Community.  It's nice to meet you.  I'm sorry to hear about your son's anxiety and I can imagine that this must be very worrying for you.  I hope you have found the above information/advice given by members above to be helpful and you will have already seen that we have some members who also have children with Autism and Aspergers so you may find it helpful to chat to them for support also.  We are all here for you on the forum anyway so please chat to us anytime, as there will always be someone on here to listen.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are both getting on and if we can be of any help/support to you then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Rhodie72Rhodie72 Member Posts: 16 Connected
    Hey there, I knew there was something "different" about me for most of my life and in 2018 after years of my late wife begging me to "to be seen to" I finally started the process of being assessed for ASD. In Feb 2020 I was finally given a positive diagnosis and it was sted. With that I had the medical evidence to back up my condition and make claims for whatever benefits were available. This written evidence is important for government departmental recognition of any issues the must have due regard for. I would suggest that getting your son assessed is going to be far more helpful now than when he is an adult as adult services are very thin on the ground.

With the diaagnosis comes benefits of personal recognition and also highlights specificities of his particular issues.

"If you've met one person with autism then you've met one person with autism."
    The adjustments that can be made for him are substantial for employment but without understanding the full extent of his condition you may not recognise that there amy be another juxtaposed condition since Asperger's seldom is a standalone condition. Often there is ADHD oranother alonside it.

The diagnosis may also help you find reognition and more support than without it, in my experience.

Hope this helps.

A.
    Dream big, plan well, achieve goals, live the dream.

• fairybellsxofairybellsxo Member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Hello!

I understand from a parent point of view this kind of thing can be very worrying! I have Asperger's and I believe myself to be quite high functioning, I have issues with my anxiety/social anxiety reading between the lines! each day is a struggle but my parents have always just encouraged me to be ' myself ' and that in itself has helped me along the way, I only discovered my autism at the age of 25.

I have held down many jobs since the age of 18, It's a struggle but I did it! I have many hobbies and specific interests, I have been in successful relationships and can hold down friendships too :) the future will be bright and beautiful for them in a different way, but I can honestly say I am managing and my life is wonderful, you just learn ways to cope and work around your weaknesses :) just like everybody else does.

I have come to find everybody in the world has struggles and everybody has strengths :) He will live a happy life just as soon as he figures himself out and speaking from experience it can take a little longer than everyone else but you get there eventually.

I hope this gives you hope :) 

Sign in or join us to comment.