Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

Diverticular disease

Madeline1Madeline1 Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited January 23 in Disabled people
I saw a post on here about the diverticular disease. i have been diagnosed with this in 2004 and again in 2007. I have a many bouts of cramps diarrhoea and constipation and left-sided pain in the bowel. I have been admitted to the hospital for iv drip of antibiotics and fluids a few years after diagnosis. 
this condition is so unpredictable and embarrassing, I have belching and flatulence most of the time. I work but when the pain is severe I cant sit or lay down, sleeping is difficult.

i just wanted to see if other people with this condition have the same troubles

Replies

• chiariedschiarieds Community champion Posts: 2,957 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Madeline1 - Welcome to the community & thank you for joining. I'm sorry to read of the problems you have with diverticular disease, & whilst I don't have, it hopefully you'll come across others here that suffer with this.
    I found some information about it, so if you haven't come across this, the following may be helpful: https://gutscharity.org.uk/advice-and-information/conditions/diverticular-disease/
    Please do have a look around the forum & join in with the discussions. There's a link on the right of this page to 'All groups,' which may be a good starting point.

• mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 4,719 Disability Gamechanger
    Most of us have some evidence of this within our bowels but when you get the full on thing it’s mightily unpleasant. I have had a complete change of diet and have mostly dropped wheat and dairy. The results have been significant. Not perfect by any means but quite an improvement. I no longer need any meds. 
  • Madeline1Madeline1 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    thanks Mike, I will try reducing and then maybe removing these. I usually get prescribed amoxiclav antibiotics but the last few times they made my kidney hurt (i suspected that). I was reluctantly given ciprofloxacin and metronidazole, they have managed to stop the pain and I had buscopan for cramps. I definitely need a new diet for sure
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 4,719 Disability Gamechanger
    Plenty of gluten free cereals and some really tasty ones too. Bread and crackers etc. are variable. Some are like cardboard/sawdust as per the cliches but some are great. Salad or gluten free soup does the trick at lunchtime. Meat and veg (if you eat meat) are fine. I’ve found I can drink things like Coke Zero occasionally and lots of coffee shops have lactose free alternatives. Most big supermarkets have free from or similar sections. It costs more overall but the saving made by not needing meds offsets it in my case. 
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 9,477 Scope community team
    A very warm welcome to the community @Madeline1
    Community Partner
    Scope
  • MobileGamesMobileGames Member Posts: 66 Courageous
    @Madeline1 Welcome. Two of my relatives have it. They have to avoid fatty,spicy,chocolatey and any foods with pips,skins and seeds in. They drink plenty of water and have a high fibre diet to bulk the stools up. One alternates between diarrhea and constipation. When they have diarrhea they drink more water and eat blander foods,mash,scrambled eggs,toast,lean meat,boiled fish,fresh vegetables and they don't eat a few hours before bedtime. They have breakfast,lunch and dinner. When they are constipated,one has Cosmocol. The other has less frequent bouts,but when they have a bout they need antibiotics pronto to avoid a hospital visit. They get the diarreah side so have to watch what they eat. They try to avoid stress,drink plenty of water and stay away from trigger foods. Gluten can cause flatulence and bloating. Fibre is different to gluten. Gluten is found in wheat. Fibre is not just in wholewheat foods like cereals,pasta and brown bread,but also in vegetables,fruit,which are gluten free. Wheat is mainly in cereals,bread,pasta,biscuits,breadcrumbs. So mash,skinless vegetables,say carrots without the skin,cabbage,cauliflower,parsnips without the skin,sweet potato peeled,butternut squash,and lean meats like chicken and fish is okay. Fruits like pears,peaches,nectarines,bananas,melons with pips scrapped out(not watermelon) are okay. 
Sign in or join us to comment.