If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

Living in a refuge due to domestic violence and it's unsuitable, any suggestions?

KateGardenerKateGardener Posts: 2Member Listener
I am living in a refuge due to domestic violence. The accommodation is unsuitable, upstairs, cold and drafty. I have complained and told them the conditions are forcing me to sleep on a friends sofa but they say they can’t do anything to help and have no other rooms available. I am in band 1 for council housing but suitable housing doesn’t come up often. Any suggestions?


  • thespicemanthespiceman Posts: 5,775Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 7
    Hello @KateGardener   Pleased to meet you.

    Thank you for joining and sharing. Sorry to hear this.

    I am one of the team of community champions.

    We guide, advise help support members.

    We offer compassion, empathy and sensitivity  who needs anything.

    Please not happy to hear this should be supporting you.  You come to the right place.

    Please I can give you some organisations that offer a lot of services, welfare support and housing.

    I am going to give you my own housing association HOME group.

    They offer a lot of support to members of our community.

    Offer a number of supported living accommodations and do have a mental health arm.


    Have properties all over the UK.

    Need no deposit.  

    Other organisations



    Helpline 0808 808 4000

    Please can I ask do you have a mental health problem or issues. Just many mental health charities have their own housing providers.

    This one does.


    Telephone 020 7697 3300

    Often work with support workers looking at everything, including mental health well being, benefits.

    Sign posting to local housing associations.


    Another organisation offers a range of services to our community.

    Including housing.

    Helpline 020 7367 4500.

    Please if you have a disability or illness or a condition there are charities linked to support you.

    Please tag my name happy to help be supportive.

    Please also going to tag the SCOPE team if they can help further.

    @Adrian_Scope   @Chloe_Scope     please it can you help this lady advise anything else.

    Hopefully be in touch soon.

    Please take care. 


  • KateGardenerKateGardener Posts: 2Member Listener
    Thank you @thespiceman 
    for your kind words and suggestions. I have lung damage and use oxygen from cancer and suffer with ME. I have had an eating disorder in the past but my mental health is good at the moment, just really stressed out. I’m in Chesterfield. Does anyone know of any advisors I could meet with near hear to help with grants etc when I do find a place to move into? 
  • thespicemanthespiceman Posts: 5,775Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 7
    Hello @KateGardener   Thank you for reply.

    Just a few suggestions happy to help. Stress is a mental health issue may not know that but it is.

    Just a thought.

    These charities have you ever contacted them the ones I suggested might be useful.

    Have others related to your Cancer often have own benefit advisors and support.

    Sorry to hear your suffering wish you well .


    Helpline 0808 808 0000

    This one for ME.

    Hope that helps.

    Please you could speak to CAB or local welfare agencies near to you.

    Please if I can help further please contact me.

    Please take care.


  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Posts: 6,556Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @KateGardener and a warm welcome to the community, I'm sorry to hear about your current situation. As any of the advice by @thespiceman been helpful?

    Please do let us know if we can do anything further.
    Online Community Officer
Sign in or join us to comment.