Doctors — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Doctors

arboclimber52
arboclimber52 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
Just been to see my  GP as feeling very low and suicidal to be told to find something to do, we havnt got a magic wand and no i can't do your meds as i am already running late. I asked for help. Now feeling worse than ever.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @arboclimber52 - I am very saddened to read this; I can hardly believe that your GP should be so dismissive about your serious issues. Might it be worth going to see another GP in the practice asking for a double appointment so you'd have more time, & there would be no excuse over your meds.
    I know how much you've helped others & hope to continue to do; you deserve better 'help' than this.
    I'm going to ask one of the Scope team for their advice. @Adrian_Scope would you help here please.
  • arboclimber52
    Thank you i cant believe it myself, second time she has been off with me, my usual docs are great and have always been there, i have depression which is awful but im on meds but i am currently being weened off zoplicone and i personally think this is the problem, so gonna cool down and get in touch tomoz.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @arboclimber52. What a terrible attitude to have towards a patient.

Finding a hobby or 'something to do' isn't bad advice per se, but being dismissed so plainly is exceptionally unkind, especially when no additional support is offered.
    Can I ask how long you've been with your current GP? Have you had much support from this doctor in the past? @Chiaried's advice as relates to booking a double appointment is sound (if you have the opportunity) and I would definitely try to see another doctor next time.
    Do you get much mental health support outside of your GP? Are you engaged with your Community Mental Health Team at all?

As a pan-disability charity, it's fair to say that our strengths lie more in the daily lives of disabled people, rather than complex mental health. That said, we would be willing to try and find you some local support if you're interested? Please email us on community@scope.org.uk if this is something you'd like us to do.

You're more than welcome to post about your feelings here, but it's important if you're having these thoughts that you speak to someone trained and able to help you. I'm sure you're aware that they are plenty of talking services out there who might be able to help, including CALM which you can call on 0800 58 58 58 or Samaritans on 116 123. However, if you do feel like you might be in danger, you should call 999 or go to your local hospital.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • arboclimber52
    edited January 2020
    Thank you adrian, i have plenty of things to do but with chronic back pain and Bronchiectasis i struggle with most things now only recently retiring from tree surgery for 17 years and a fire fighter before that i feel very annoyed with myself, ie depression and after suffering a stabbing in a pub i used to run, leaving me with PTSD so life has been quite cruel i have had many counselling sessions and have helped others, but all i ask is im low i need to discuss my meds sobbing my heart out to doc a "yes we can discuss that and sort it out" that would have done. Im no danger to myself or my family just down. Been there before so im still here. Thank you for your support it is much appreciated
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @arboclimber52, things sound like they have been really difficult and you have experienced some tough things. Please do keep in touch. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.