Don't no where to turn to — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Don't no where to turn to

Danielleflood1990
Danielleflood1990 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I've suffered with a mental health disorder for the last 20+years, tried constantly on a daily basis to cope alone with this while working, raising family until 7 years ago i had a massive breakdown, by 2016 I'd attempted suicide, had crisis team and doctors have increased my meds last year which make me drowsy, and my concentration is awful, over the last 7 years i have become a recluse, i have major issues with connecting with people and my anxiety is overwhelming, i am always worried about my husband dying and leaving me, worry about everything, my heads a mess, I have struggled with getting around my home more and more in the past 2 years and was diagnosed with severe osteoporosis in both my knees last April, i now have to use a frame and walk stick. I decided to have a review of my pip award and applied last April for this, before this i received standard rate for daily living only based on my mental health condition, as I have to rely on my husband for everything now, i can't leave my house alone as I have become very anxious, have panic attacks, confusion, end up in tears and just can't cope with the outside world, i feel safe at home and protected, i waited 3 anxious months for the assessment, only to be told repeatedly that I couldn't have a home assessment for pip, had to get a letter from the doctor to state why i needed one at home, eventually 23rd September 2019 I had this evil excuse of an assessment at home. My husband was present all through the barbaric experience, he spoke for me as much as possible as I was inconsolable, shaking like a leaf, told her i felt sick and started crying, i was then asked to stand up from my chair, lift both my feet off the floor, which was extremely painful, then sit down, wasn't ask how far i can walk nothing, my medication prescribed by my doctor was in front of the assessor, also medication I've been on for IBS for years, all was explained to her about my mental health and the daily effects and limits this has on me, so I've waited and waited for the decision letter which finally arrived on the 2nd of January 2020, assessor lied and lied, the worst most awful experience I'd had and she lied. Everything my husband said for me was totally ignored, i received 6 points for daily living, even though I can't leave my home by myself, can't cook by myself and many other activities. Letter said i can follow a journey by myself, i am capable of managing day to day activities by myself, even though they admit in the letter i struggle with activities which I will continue to do so, I've somehow miraculously got 100% better and that's that. They say I've had no input in 3 years, yet I've recently had intense physiotherapy, steroid injections, self treatment and exercise i have to do at home and contious appointments with my gp, I'm back at doctors Friday because I'm in a terrible state and feeling so low every day, i need more evidence apparently for a mandatory reconsideration, don't know where to turn or what to say to the doctor, i really need advice, this system is so corrupt it's killing people, I'm suffering and sinking. 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Hi @Danielleflood1990 and a very warm welcome to the community. I'm so sorry to hear that the PIP assessment was incredibly difficult for you, I appreciate how hard they can be. I'm really glad to hear your husband was there with you, it sounds like he's a big support.

Are you currently having any support for your mental health?

I noticed you mentioned that you were sinking and just wanted to see how you are feeling mentally at the moment. It can be a lot to handle, if you start feeling suicidal then please contact a health professional.

There are a number of talking services out there such as Samaritans (116 123) and CALM (0800 58 58 58) which might be able to help you, but you might also benefit from using a text service such as Shout (you can access this by texting 85258 to SHOUT).

There's also charities such as Mind who have some resources on tackling 
    suicidal thoughtsRethink who might offer some local support or the Stay Alive app which is a useful resource on its own.

If at any time you feel like you might be in immediate danger, please call 999 or go to your local hospital.

Due to being a pan-disability charity that our strengths lie more in the daily lives of disabled people, rather than complex mental health. However, if you feel like you might benefit from us seeking some local support on your behalf, we would be more than happy to do so. 

If that would interest you, please just email us at community@scope.org.uk

Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Danielle....pretty name btw...... I am so sorry to read how ill you are....with so much going on I`m not surprised the assessor`s report has got you into a worse state.

The thing about PIP...I went through a couple of months ago, is that we need to tell them how daily activities are so difficult that we need the help of another person and or equipment to help us with EVERY aspect of our lives.

I got my daughter, who is an advocate for disabled people....to fill my forms in. She went into great detail about each activity where I need assistance.

I sent in the following as evidence;
    letters from neuro
    continence evidence
    2 carers letters
    care assessment plan

I did get enhancements on both parts of PIP first time. I had been on full DLA for 20 years. People told me not to worry and that I was sure to get what I needed , but that didn't stop me from sleepless nights and anxiety.

You MUST go for an MR......fill the form in with as much detail about your needs as possible.

And if it is rejected then you MUST go for tribunal.

Tribunal rates for turn around are good.

Hope things improve for you.
    Take care
    Pollsxx
  • Virag
    Virag Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    @Danielleflood1990 I hope you are okay Danielle? Reading your message, much of it resonated with me that I had to sign up and reply. Right now I feel suicidal for the first time in a long time having received a response to my change of circumstances assessment which basically stripped me of all points. Like yourself, I live in a bubble due to physical and mental health issues and whilst I know I can fight this and will win as the assessor should not have been assigned to me due to an ongoing formal complaint against, by myself, against her, the thought of having to go through it all again is overwhelming. If you need somebody to talk to, I’m here xx
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    Welcome to the community @Virag and thank you for your kindness here. :)

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling suicidal as well, is your doctor aware of this?

While we can signpost you to resources from Mind about tackling thoughts of suicide, if you're having these thoughts it's really important you speak to someone qualified and able to support you. Have you called Samaritans before on 116 123, or got in touch with the crisis text service Shout, which you can access by texting SHOUT to 85258? 
    Scope

• Virag
    Virag Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    @Chloe_Scope that’s very kind of you, thanks for the welcome.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Danielleflood1990    Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and thank you for sharing.  

Your not alone, we are here to support you offer compassion, empathy and sensitivity.

I am one of Community Champions team, also have mental health issues. Anxiety, depression and addiction history advised many community members.

Please I need you to read this carefully. This is important relevant information which will help you.

Please if I can suggest you contact the following mental health charities.

They offer floating support, advice, guidance on your mental health, welfare, benefits.

Including form filling in, including any relevant in the forms a report or other care plans.

Help and assistance with circumstances such as this be at home with you at assessment.

Speak up for you and support you.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

Please if I can advise with anything else please get in touch have and can help on many aspects of nutrition, diet which can be beneficial to any anxiety.

Pleas also have a lot of knowledge, education over along period of time.

Happy to answer any questions, please take care and safe.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.