Toothbrushes for disabled children — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Toothbrushes for disabled children

April2018mom
April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
Hello

Can anyone recommend a new toothbrush for a small child with a moderate physical impairment? A little background info on our situation:

My son has no cognitive/speech/fine/oral motor limitations however. His main problem is actually getting into the bathroom safely in his wheelchair. In the past he brushed his teeth at the kitchen sink. This was not a ideal long term solution however. Now he uses a cup of water to clean his teeth with toothpaste squeezed on his finger. This is not a long term solution either. 

I want him to have some dignity when he does his personal care. Does anyone have any toothbrush recommendations or not? He does not need a special toothbrush, a normal one is fine. Are there any bathroom aids for physically disabled kids? 

Many thanks in advance. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,343 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2020
    HI,

I'm a little confused by your question. In the heading you're asking for toothbrushes for disabled children but then you say he doesn't need a special toothbrush. If so then just buy a child's toothbrush which will be a lot smaller than an adult one. Lots of choice here https://www.boots.com/oral-b/oral-b-kids/?cm_mmc=performics_ppc-_-oralb-_-ukbootsbrandex-_-professionalcaregeneric&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5sX2-vP05gIVh7HtCh3PuAwIEAAYASAAEgK7o_D_BwE

I'm not sure what your question is but are the bathroom doors wide enough for his wheelchair? I'm not sure what bathrooms aids will help here because your question is confusing.

A few months ago i thought he had a needs assessment done from your local council and it was decided that he didn't need any aids to help, is that correct?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • April2018mom
    Yes sorry. 

Apologies for my really confusing post. I am currently sleep deprived due to a new baby who was born yesterday afternoon. Where did you buy a toothbrush from and would you recommend it? 
  • poppy123456
    No problem. Congratulations on the new baby.

My children are all grown up now so haven't used a child toothbrush for a long time. I would say an electric one, then there's very little movement needed to use one. They are also alot wider than a manual one so it will be easier for him to use. Superdrug sell them and most supermarkets, as well as boots.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • April2018mom
    Thanks

I will go to a pharmacy tomorrow. What do people think of a electric toothbrush? What brand do you recommend?
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2020
    No problem. He's a child of 3 so i would just chose a child's one because there's really no need to buy an adult one for a small child. In my opinion any of the cheaper electric ones will do just fine.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.