If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

Advise and tips on prosthetic leg?

KarkarnaKarkarna Posts: 1Member Listener
edited January 14 in Disabled people
Hello, 
I'm a churches dependent due to a birth defect, which affect one of my leg after birth. Since then, I've used wheelchair for a bit as a kid, before moving to fulltime crutches user. Now, I've the opportunity to use a prosthetic leg extension to help me walk and be less dependent on crutches. However, I'm finding the transitioning extremely hard, as I've never put any weight on the leg before. I've started attending physiotherapy classes but it's a working progress. So, I want to ask if anyone in this community have a tip or advise for me on how to make this transitioning easier.

Thank you!
Tagged:

Replies

• icarusicarus Posts: 23Member Connected
    hi not sure what type of prosthetic extension you are transitioning to--- 7 years ago i got both feet  amputated after an accident  it is a below knee amputation. these are quite easy to manage if you still have a working knee joint. Keep repeating the physio exercises as if you are training for the olympics, they make a massive difference. Stumps change size during the day so keep adjusting by changing number of socks. Never have a loose prosthetic, it can create a massive lump called a bursar  which takes weeks to clear wearing compression socks. Dont do too much, sores stop prosthetic use for ages whilst they heal,   
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Posts: 6,556Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @Karkarna and a very warm welcome to the community! It sounds like it's going to be a big change.

Has your physio said anything about the adjustment period? I don't use prosthetic so unfortunately can't offer any tips. However I hope other members will be able to help. :)

It would be great to hear how you get on with this. 
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
Sign in or join us to comment.