If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

Making an event space accessible 101

Nicole_CBNicole_CB Posts: 3Member Listener
Hi Community, I joined today hoping to become a better ally in everything relating to accessibility. My first project is to make my company's event space more accessible, and to make sure we don't make any mistakes, I was hoping you may have some tips and advice for us (although I totally understand that no one owes me any of their expertise). 

I'm happy for any advice or no-goes, and I also have some questions if anyone wants to help. First of all: 

- If an event flyer represents a person in a wheelchair but doesn't specifically state that it's accessible, do you assume the event will be accessible? Or do you always ask the organizers for good measure? 

- If a space has ramps that are very steep and one still need someone else's help to go in and out of the space, would you still consider that an accessible space? I guess my question is whether the term "wheelchair accessible" can only be used if people can go in and out of places at will, without having to ask for help. 

I'm a taker for anything anyone can contribute. Cheers! 

Replies

• Tommyb92Tommyb92 Posts: 33Member Courageous
    Hi there, I just wanted to add my thoughts into the mix, is the area accessible? i.e. is it on a level ground? if its on split level is there a ramp ? do you have Disabled toilet facilities, or if needed a changing space for Adults which may include a bed to be changed on
  • pollyanna1052pollyanna1052 Posts: 1,499Member Disability Gamechanger
    Tommy has put some good ideas forward.

As a full time electric wheelchair user, if I see a ramps or doorway that looks a bit on the steep side, I go down backwards and feel safer. I do usually like someone to guide me.
  • steve51steve51 Posts: 6,030Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Nicole_CB

Welcome it’s great to meet you this afternoon 😃

I’m one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope😃

Yes I would be very very happy in helping you if required 😃

I am a wheelchair user myself & I have been for a good few years due to a Stroke.

Please please let me know how you feel 😃

@steve51

• Nicole_CBNicole_CB Posts: 3Member Listener
    Hey there, thanks for your answers! @Tommyb92 the space is on split level and we're currently trying to decide what solution would be best, therefore we don't have ramps yet. We're trying to understand whether ramps are the best solution for our space, or if something else is more suitable. 

Thank you too for pointing my attention to Disabled toilet facilities. I've been so focused on solving the issue of the flight of stairs (9 steps) that lead to the space that I hadn't thought of the facilities inside the event space. I apologize for my ignorance and have now rectified that on my project.
  • steve51steve51 Posts: 6,030Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Nicole_CB

Good Afternoon & Welcome it’s great to meet you today 😃

I’m one off a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

It’s great to see that you have had some great info to date from a number of our members 😃

I have been a wheelchair/disabled for a number of years & I would be very very happy in helping you further if required 😃

Please please let me know how you feel??

@steve51
    Nicole_CB said:
    Hey there, thanks for your answers! @Tommyb92 the space is on split level and we're currently trying to decide what solution would be best, therefore we don't have ramps yet. We're trying to understand whether ramps are the best solution for our space, or if something else is more suitable. 

Thank you too for pointing my attention to Disabled toilet facilities. I've been so focused on solving the issue of the flight of stairs (9 steps) that lead to the space that I hadn't thought of the facilities inside the event space. I apologize for my ignorance and have now rectified that on my project.

Hi Nicole, thats no problem, sometimes its good to have an outsider to give you food for thought. Please let me know if you need anything else. Tom
    Also I forgot to mention in my last message that some people may require a quiet space ie no distractions, they also may need charging points if they have wheel chairs! hope this help! Thanks Tom
  • thespicemanthespiceman Posts: 5,729Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Nicole_CB   Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of Community Champions.  We guide, advise and help members of our community.

Please I am going to tag my friend @Ami2301 the lady has a lot of experience in accessibility and I am sure be  interested in helping, advising you.

@Ami2301 is one of our Community Champions team and will explain how she can help you.

Lady has a lot of knowledge much of it useful.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
  • Nicole_CBNicole_CB Posts: 3Member Listener
    Thanks a lot for tagging your friend @thespiceman, I'm happy for any more advice and knowledge! I also had two questions in my initial post if anyone has insights on these :)
    - If an event flyer represents a person in a wheelchair but doesn't specifically state that it's accessible, do you assume the event will be accessible? Or do you always ask the organizers for good measure? 

- If a space has ramps that are very steep and one still need someone else's help to go in and out of the space, would you still consider that an accessible space? I guess my question is whether the term "wheelchair accessible" can only be used if people can go in and out of places at will, without having to ask for help. 
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Posts: 6,521Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @Nicole_CB and a very warm welcome to the community! It's great that you are wanting to make your event accessible. I personally would say the event is 'step-free' or rather than wheelchair accessible as this can mean something different to different people. 

Ramps can't be too steep, you also should check that they can hold the weight of bigger electric chairs. 

Most people will check the access as this can be individual needs to them.
    Chloe
    Online Community Officer
Sign in or join us to comment.