Help needed — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help needed

cjd
cjd Community member Posts: 9 Listener
I just had my pip assesment and I'm concerned about what the women wrote as she kept mixing up my words and cofusing me she then kept asking questions about my parenting ect and it made me feel like she thinks I cant look after my son which I certainly can and have no problems or issues, but I'm worried what she wrote and scared she can get someone to take my son away. Can she do that?

Comments

• cjd
    I just had my assessment today and the women who was doing it kept confusing me and mixing my words up and kept asking questions about my son making out I couldnt take care of him with the questions asked which I very well can as my health visitor ect havent had a problem and I'm very capable of caring for him. I'm now worried the women has written lies down and will have my son taken from me! Can this happen?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope. They certainly wouldn't take your son away from you. The questions they ask you during these assessment can often make you feel very intimidated. Part of the assessment is for them to find out how your conditions affect your daily life because they are trying to get the full picture of how you're affected.

Was this a PIP or work capability assessment?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cjd
    Thank you for replying, so they wont make false accusations against be being a mum? Because I've heard this happen before, it was pip
  • EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Hi @cjd
    Her main focus should be on assessing your eligibility for PIP.  She's not there to contact social services or whoever just because she feels like it, there would have to be serious safeguarding issues for them to get involved and from what you've said looking after your son isn't in question.
    I'd try not to over think things, we [humans] can spend a lot of time worrying about things in our imagination and that never happen!
    Best wishes.
    Emma
  • cjd
    Thank you so much for your help and putting my mind at ease, theres so problems with me being a mum I just have joint problems and I'm in and out of a wheelchair so was afraid they would use it against me 
  • EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Hi @cjd
    I'm a disabled mum too and sometimes worry about people judging me so I know that feeling!  But it sounds like you know you are a good enough mum [you don't have to be super-mum to be a good mum!], just keep doing what you are doing.  Hopefully your difficulties will be properly assessed in the context of PIP and if the assessor has got it wrong then you can appeal - mandatory consideration in the first instance and then tribunals after that.  Hopefully it won't come to that but at least you know if the assessor was rubbish it's not the end of the line!
    All the best.
    Emma
  • cjd
    Thank you very much for your reply and putting my mind at ease
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    If you mean reporting you then no absolutely not.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @cjd! It cannot have been nice to be questioned on your parenting. As Emma has said, they will have been looking at the PIP descriptors and you will be fine. 

I wish you the best of luck with your claim! If you ring up a week after the assessment you'll be able to request a copy of the report. This will say what the assessor thinks and the award that they have given you. It's not a guarantee but it is rare that they go against the report. 
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.